Thread: supports

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

supports

I have finally started making the stunts on my freeride trail. Most of the stuff is made of wood for drops,skinnies,and wall rides. My only concern is are the supports strong enough. Can you help me in the right way to make the supports or even post pictures of the supports you built on your trail.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

maybe here

search Imba.com/resoures and below may have info you are looking for.
    http://www.whistler.ca/images/storie...st_edition.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How many inches for every foot should you bury the main support?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If it's a legal trail, use general outdoor building codes similar to deck building. You can ask the park manager for engineering help as to what is their general guidelines for built structures.

You should bury the main supports down to the frost line so they don't heave over the winter and loosen up the structure. The frost line is different depending on latitude but three feet is the norm.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    ^ ^ good post.

The taller the bridge the deeper we try and go. As stated above 3ft is generally all that is needed. I always try to pound some rocks in around the posts before refilling them with dirt. Seems to help stiffen things up.

The most we're gone is 4ft deep on this "Tower of Power" start gate for our Local Super-D trail.

(don't mind the semi ghetto railing. We built the full tower in the pouring rain the night before a race so by the time we got to the railing looks were 2nd to function. New railing getting built later this month along with a back ramp to we can ride up.)