mtbr member
    Aug 2007

software to design a bike park

Can anyone recommend a software program to use to put together a plan for a bike park?
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I use xara xtreme on Ubuntu linux. Also you can use inkscape for a free windows program.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    I have found sketch up good for creating wooden features, but doesn't work as well for soil-based, organic shapes and forms.

I think your best bet, honestly, is to work with someone who owns CAD. It seems to do a good job creating overlays for site maps and such. See if your club maybe has an engineer in it or a landscape architect. You can draw things out to scale on graph paper and then pass it on to them.

CAD is the only thing I have found that works well.

mtbr member
    Use gmap pedometer image of a contour map of the area, stick that image into a word document, then import to autocadLT as an OLE and then scale it. If you can use autocad for a long time then draw up your plans on there.

If you don't own autocadLT find someone that does and have them print out the image to scale on a 24x36 page, make a couple copies, and go to town with a pencil, french curve, straight edge and an arch. scale.

You will probably want to do some detailed elevations of TTF, that may/maynot be harder.

good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Linerider

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hickey
    Linerider

El Oh El

The Voice of Reason
    how big is your area? i used AutoCAD and the software that came with my GPS but i'm dealing with several hundred acres. if it's small, why not pencil and paper?
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I am on a Mac and xara xtreme is not available to Mac users yet. The site says they are working on a Mac version. I downloaded Inkscape but have not messed around with it yet. I did check out sketchup and like the fact that you can use it with google earth. The few proposals I have done so far I have used google earth. Like redrider mentioned it seems like it will be good for drawing up TTF's and maybe a pump track but as far as drawing in trails.. I don't think it will work well or maybe I just have to play with it more?

I had thought about doing the plans by hand but since they are for proposals I want them to look professional.

One guy told me he uses a landscape program and illustrator. He did not mention which landcape program he uses?

Any one using illustrator? I hear it is not an easy program to learn.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Illustrator, Xara, Inkscape are all vector drawing programs. Illustrator is the expensive version of the three.

I would say that all three are around the same difficulty to use. I basically used Xara like a CAD system. I laid out a grid with my paper the size of my park dimensions, then I drew all my jumps, berms etc. to scale, then copied them and placed everything where I wanted.

For drawing trails I've used a gps and overlayed the recorded GPS track onto a satellite or topo image. I used to have a program that mapped gps coordinates to satellite images download from somewhere other than google, but I fogot the name.

I'm not a great artist, so I'm sure others can do better, but here's my park map:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin marley
    Illustrator, Xara, Inkscape are all vector drawing programs. Illustrator is the expensive version of the three.

I would say that all three are around the same difficulty to use. I basically used Xara like a CAD system. I laid out a grid with my paper the size of my park dimensions, then I drew all my jumps, berms etc. to scale, then copied them and placed everything where I wanted.

For drawing trails I've used a gps and overlayed the recorded GPS track onto a satellite or topo image. I used to have a program that mapped gps coordinates to satellite images download from somewhere other than google, but I fogot the name.

I'm not a great artist, so I'm sure others can do better, but here's my park map:
    Looks good!

Thanks for the info! I am giving Inkscape a try! I like that it is free! Can't go wrong with that!
    www.otbmbc.com

caninus xerophilous

Topofusion?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin marley
    I used to have a program that mapped gps coordinates to satellite images download from somewhere other than google, but I fogot the name.[/IMG]
    BTW: nice work.