mtbr member
    Feb 2013

the small park with trails you can ride to from your house

I'd like to encourage riders with park/development opportunities nearby to make a cool local trail loop, as possible. It's so much better to be able to ride to the trails from my house, even for a short ride, than to have to load the car and drive 30min+ to the trailhead.

I've got a 25acre +- unmaintained city park near my house that I've been working on for a couple of years, and it's a really great place to for xc workouts and group riding (including night rides, and rides with my kids) without have to get in the car. At least 4 of my friends in the general area have similar size parks with some existing trails that they can expand for more opportunity, 2 are planning and 2 are actively working on these small systems.
    I think it would be great if there were lots more of these short xc (and other) style loops all around, - multi-use trails, lots of hikers and a few trail runners have found my trails, and that's cool, the city needs more trails. My lap with almost zero overlap is about 30 minutes. Maintenance is now very minimal, mostly just a few hours in the late spring with a cordless hedge trimmer, and spot trimming with hand clippers.
    What have you got that you can ride to from your house?, what have you done with it?

On wuss patrol
    Hmmm, if what you've been doing and/or are proposing is on public land, then it's pretty much illegal without going through the proper procedures and channels to build trails. Is that what you're proposing? Hmmmm?

And, since it may be illegal and off-grid, should it be included on the map of the whole forest?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I only maintain existing trails, and I only cut invasives, - plus trash pickup.

On wuss patrol
    You used words like "expand" and "could use more trails" which threw me off.

And yes, until I moved 7 mos ago, I lived a couple miles from a 300+ acre urban park with 20+ miles of trails, of which about 15 are single track. I've done a lot of "maintenance" in that park, ridden 1000s of miles, been involved in further development and advocacy. Put a lot fewer miles on my car driving to trailheads.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The small place near home has become trail head for one of the area's better and bigger rides over 10 years but the pump track, basic loop and jump line still keep the original spirit. Riding places that don't require a car to get there have been good for the sport in my area.

At this point our posse that became an IMBA chapter only works on legitimate and sustainable projects. You should work with the land owners and managers even if it takes some fun away so your efforts will last. It's important to build things that will attract more to the sport but that's not always what the volunteers want to do.

Moderator Moderator
    Besides more expansive projects, our org is working towards a long term goal of bringing the multitude of pocket parks here into the Parks trail system. All of them have social trails or at least one traversing them, so we'd like to fix what's there or create a new trail to enable riders to link from one to another. Just to encourage transportation and to let you stitch together a pavement/singletrack ride of whatever distance you'd like up to @ 40 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have great riding at the end of my street. 14 miles or so. 2 conservation areas with connected trails. Plus more than 50 miles within a short pavement pedal connection. I have permission from the local land manager to do " maintenance" Pick up sticks, the occasional branch with my folding saw and some trimming as needed. 2 different guys will do chainsaw work as needed. Sometimes drainage will need to be done but rarely dirt or rock work. Not a huge riding area but nice to have it so close. Popular with dog walkers on the one loop around the pond, great for packing the snow down.

mtbr member
    Local neighborhood small parks sometimes require a lot of "outreach" to the neighbors/community.

It only takes a few neighbors (sometimes just one) who has "issues," "concerns," etc. to shut something down.

But, if a few outspoken or influential neighbors get behind it, the doubters often clam up.

A lot of people will voice concerns about things ("danger of injury," "too much traffic," "lack of parking," etc.) but it really just boils down to an aversion to change. They're familiar with the status quo, and new trails are a question mark.

Hermit
    Totally agree with you.

We have a small county park right in town, in a creek watershed between a residential area and a Mall. Four years ago I got involved with a group that wanted to build trails there, and before long I was the trail boss of our tiny crew. Volunteers have declined over the years, so I've done probably 80% of the work myself, but now there is a small 3 mile trail network suitable for beginners to ride.

I'm still slowly expanding the trail network, and head over regularly to spend an hour or so riding the trails (even if they are really easy, basic trails). It's been a ton of work, but seeing the kids out there riding, and old folks hiking down by the creek makes it all worth it.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    A weird piece of land at the edge of my town known as the Brickyard with huge claypits that are now lakes. Basically abandoned post-apocalyptic land everyone four wheels on, fishes, dumps their old mattresses at, etc. Our Redneck Riviera.

Once the gumbo mud dries out in late spring, its the only place near my house to ride.

bigger than you.
    Here in Philly, we have he Belmont Plateau, located in West Fairmount park. From the late 80's up until 2009, all the trails were rogue trails. then, a user group was formed and they began working with the land manager to legitimize the trails. A few unsustainable sections had to be rerouted, but as we worked with the Park and cleaned up the area, we were able to demonstrate that our efforts were not only bringing in more mountain bikers into the park, but we wera also making it safe and accessible for folks from the neighborhood to hike, walk and otherwise use the park in a meaningful way, instead of it being a haven for packs of wild dogs, prostitution, drugs and homeless encampments. This year, we built close to 3 miles of trails and the city has budgeted more funding to allow the creation of several more miles of new trails in the coming year. My point being, create a user group and work with your park's land manager to create a legit and sustainable trail system.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    A weird piece of land at the edge of my town known as the Brickyard with huge claypits that are now lakes. Basically abandoned post-apocalyptic land everyone four wheels on, fishes, dumps their old mattresses at, etc. Our Redneck Riviera.
    Have you looked at Cuyuna (MN) as a template for your area?

https://gearjunkie.com/mountain-bike...yuna-minnesota

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Have you looked at Cuyuna (MN) as a template for your area?

https://gearjunkie.com/mountain-bike...yuna-minnesota
    Not familiar with it - I'm near Philly - but Cuyuna looks cool. Not surprised though, MN seems pretty progressive on a alternative outdoor recreation stuff.

The Cuyuna project kills me even more because I'm a yearround fatbiker in an area where they're rare.

Where I live, the four wheelers and quads woukd have to go first and that's not happening anytime soon. Its a shame, you've never seen deeper red, butterlike clay to build with. Properly dried it sets up like concrete without even a pebble in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm fortunate to be a ten minute ride from Blowing Springs, Slaughter Pen, Coler Creek, and the Back 40. All in all about 100+ miles of world class single track. Even more once the planned trails are complete.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Where I live, the four wheelers and quads woukd have to go first and that's not happening anytime soon. Its a shame, you've never seen deeper red, butterlike clay to build with. Properly dried it sets up like concrete without even a pebble in it.
    Oh, motorbikes and four wheelers ripped the begeezus out of Cuyuna before the DNR took over the land.

You should listen to this: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/1...ng-destination

We have found that you can have ATVs and mountain bikes share land (we do that on county land, not on state land). It just takes every one coming together. Discussions over burgers and beer help!

bigger than you.
    I'm near Philly.
    Where, exactly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Where, exactly?
    Upper Bucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Oh, motorbikes and four wheelers ripped the begeezus out of Cuyuna before the DNR took over the land.

You should listen to this: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/1...ng-destination

We have found that you can have ATVs and mountain bikes share land (we do that on county land, not on state land). It just takes every one coming together. Discussions over burgers and beer help!
    I think I'd fit in well out there

featherweight clydesdale
    14 years ago, I bought a house in a 1,300 unit PUD (Planned Unit Development). I bought it because it was 10 minutes from 30 miles of trail on a private farm. Guess what, that farm closed...

I had already co-founded the local IMBA club and was leading trailwork at other public venues when the farm closed. I tried to lease the "trail rights" of the farm, unsuccessfully. Most of the PUD's yards are 1/4 to 1/3 acre and many back to wooded common area owned by the home owner's association. I have a 6 acre wooded common area parcel behind my backyard, and 10 years ago, after losing the farm trails, I approached the homeowner association board of directors about constructing trails in the common area. We advertised the location of the proposed trail in the newsletter...and nobody said anything.

I constructed a 1/3 mile trail behind my house, and learned the real world difference between an angle finder and that clino (percent vs degrees) I'd previously been unwilling to spend the coin on. Nobody complained. I build more trail, nobody said anything. I had friends over to build, nobody said anything. I gave a map to the HOA board, nobody said anything.

I got our landscape guy who gets $250k per year PUD contract involved because he bikes. He said I overworked him doing hand benching, and he bought an SK650 3 days after I mentioned it. He leased me the SK for $35 per hour...I build sweet flowy mechanized trail. I frantically flag more trail and his lawn crew has nothing to do for a week in the winter, and they build trail all the trail I can flag.

I now have 10 miles of legit and legal trail, out my back door. I know people who have bought homes in the neighborhood because of the trails and I've added a nice amenity. People jog and walk dogs in the woods. I see middle school kids in the woods on bikes where previously I found only perforated aluminum can "pipes" puff puff pass.

I recommend spending time on trails that will endure, not get bulldozed, closed or shutdown. I'll be able to come back to my trails as an old man in 30 years and they'll still be there. I've dialed my maintenance back, other people chainsaw, and things are generally maintaining themselves at this point. The landscape company takes care of major issues.

A final note, just because you have permission, don't push a bad situation. Example: one time I found myself about 30 feet off a backyard with a barking dog and kid on a swingset, and here I am with a Pulaski...I'd freak if I saw someone 30 feet from my kid with an ax...So I have certain trail segments I only built in summer (leaves on trees to block line of sight) and in the pouring rain because I could be assured the dog and kids were inside. I was able to avoid any confrontation and build 10 miles of trail in a neighborhood of 1,300 homes!!
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    14 years ago, I bought a house in a 1,300 unit PUD (Planned Unit Development). I bought it because it was 10 minutes from 30 miles of trail on a private farm. Guess what, that farm closed...

I had already co-founded the local IMBA club and was leading trailwork at other public venues when the farm closed. I tried to lease the "trail rights" of the farm, unsuccessfully. Most of the PUD's yards are 1/4 to 1/3 acre and many back to wooded common area owned by the home owner's association. I have a 6 acre wooded common area parcel behind my backyard, and 10 years ago, after losing the farm trails, I approached the homeowner association board of directors about constructing trails in the common area. We advertised the location of the proposed trail in the newsletter...and nobody said anything.

I constructed a 1/3 mile trail behind my house, and learned the real world difference between an angle finder and that clino (percent vs degrees) I'd previously been unwilling to spend the coin on. Nobody complained. I build more trail, nobody said anything. I had friends over to build, nobody said anything. I gave a map to the HOA board, nobody said anything.

I got our landscape guy who gets $250k per year PUD contract involved because he bikes. He said I overworked him doing hand benching, and he bought an SK650 3 days after I mentioned it. He leased me the SK for $35 per hour...I build sweet flowy mechanized trail. I frantically flag more trail and his lawn crew has nothing to do for a week in the winter, and they build trail all the trail I can flag.

I now have 10 miles of legit and legal trail, out my back door. I know people who have bought homes in the neighborhood because of the trails and I've added a nice amenity. People jog and walk dogs in the woods. I see middle school kids in the woods on bikes where previously I found only perforated aluminum can "pipes" puff puff pass.

I recommend spending time on trails that will endure, not get bulldozed, closed or shutdown. I'll be able to come back to my trails as an old man in 30 years and they'll still be there. I've dialed my maintenance back, other people chainsaw, and things are generally maintaining themselves at this point. The landscape company takes care of major issues.

A final note, just because you have permission, don't push a bad situation. Example: one time I found myself about 30 feet off a backyard with a barking dog and kid on a swingset, and here I am with a Pulaski...I'd freak if I saw someone 30 feet from my kid with an ax...So I have certain trail segments I only built in summer (leaves on trees to block line of sight) and in the pouring rain because I could be assured the dog and kids were inside. I was able to avoid any confrontation and build 10 miles of trail in a neighborhood of 1,300 homes!!
    Check out Bella Vista, AR and their Master Plan. We already have Blowing Springs and the Back Forty but will be adding 150+ miles more. Really the goal seems to be to link the entire massive, 45.9 square mile, town/POA together with single track.

For anyone attempting similar endeavours as the above post it could be a great case study/supporting evidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    a 300+ acre urban park with 20+ miles of trails, of which about 15 are single track.
    Man, that sounds incredibly dense. 20 miles of trail is a lot for such a small area.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Man, that sounds incredibly dense. 20 miles of trail is a lot for such a small area.
    I doubt this one is much bigger, my Googlefu is off today so not sure,
    https://www.nwatrails.org/trail/slaughter-pen/

featherweight clydesdale
    Found it.

http://www.bellavistaar.gov/wp-conte...aster-Plan.pdf

On pages 1-3 and 1-4, one item I'd tweak is there is no single track shared use trail. The example for a narrow shared use trail is a flat 6'-10' city park path. There's single track for foot use exclusively and single track for mt. bike use exclusively. This issue is fixed on p. 3-5 but not perhaps before someone gets the wrong idea.

We were recently involved in a 1+ year access fight within a "natural area" (I'll stick with lower case natural area because it was natural area in name only) going through a land management change. One of the anti's consistently argued that "multiuse trails" needed to be 5 feet wide and crushed gravel at minimum, and that such construction didn't make sense in a natural area. He could have gone to the first chapter of this Belle Vista plan and held it up as some type of holy grail. Nevermind that we'd already dropped a couple thousand building a nice stretch of 3' wide natural surface "multi use" trail.

We prevailed this month, and I had been supporting dropping the "natural area" name throughout the process. When we won, the anti's wanted to then get the natural area name dropped. I've never been a fan of what's in a name but for right now there's a natural area that will allow mountain bikes. Oh the irony...
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    Found it.

http://www.bellavistaar.gov/wp-conte...aster-Plan.pdf

On pages 1-3 and 1-4, one item I'd tweak is there is no single track shared use trail. The example for a narrow shared use trail is a flat 6'-10' city park path. There's single track for foot use exclusively and single track for mt. bike use exclusively. This issue is fixed on p. 3-5 but not perhaps before someone gets the wrong idea.

We were recently involved in a 1+ year access fight within a "natural area" (I'll stick with lower case natural area because it was natural area in name only) going through a land management change. One of the anti's consistently argued that "multiuse trails" needed to be 5 feet wide and crushed gravel at minimum, and that such construction didn't make sense in a natural area. He could have gone to the first chapter of this Belle Vista plan and held it up as some type of holy grail. Nevermind that we'd already dropped a couple thousand building a nice stretch of 3' wide natural surface "multi use" trail.

We prevailed this month, and I had been supporting dropping the "natural area" name throughout the process. When we won, the anti's wanted to then get the natural area name dropped. I've never been a fan of what's in a name but for right now there's a natural area that will allow mountain bikes. Oh the irony...
    It's not my plan but the only group in the area driving trail development are bikers.

On wuss patrol
    I don't know, is this dense? I mean it is a densely forested urban park where trail lines typically are not visible from another line.

the small park with trails you can ride to from your house-img_1042.jpg

mtbr member

That's similar to Walnut Creek park in Austin. 293 acres and between 11 and 20-ish miles of trail (depending how you ride it).
    AustinBike.com - Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park

WillWorkForTrail
    Acceptable max density is 1 mile per 10 acres. Doing a lot of urban building, I get a lot of opportunities to put trail on 100 acre plots of land in a corner of this park or that park, and usually manage to squeeze in 7 or 8 miles without getting the trail so tight that distance starts to become more important than trail with interesting features.

R38
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It looks dense to me. When you put so much trail in such a small area it fragments the habitat and causes issues with wildlife.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by R38 View Post
    It looks dense to me. When you put so much trail in such a small area it fragments the habitat and causes issues with wildlife.
    It is in fact dense. I would argue that the wildlife thing kind of depends on what sort of wildlife you have.

the small park with trails you can ride to from your house-lock-4-trail-map.jpg

Trail has been added to this since the map was made. It's been there for years, and gets quite a bit of traffic. The only REAL issues we have with wildlife out there is deer standing in the middle of the trails. It's well known that certain sections offer excellent opportunities for viewing spotted newborn fawns during certain weeks of the spring. I hear people use "wildlife disruption" as an argument against trails all the time. The only really wildlife disruption I see from building trails is when the larger wildlife start using the new trails to move on when it suits them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Density and forest fragmentation are important things to consider. It all depends on the character of the property and its history.

As an example, a park or wooded area in a city would likely have been logged at one time and receiving impacts dozens of hundreds of times great than any trail from the surrounding houses (pets, noise, chemical run-off, etc.), negative uses (dumping, etc.) and neglect (invasives). In that scenario, adding trails and cleaning/caring for that location might be a boon to the wildlife, not a burden. (We've seen that locally.)

Now a large natural area in hundreds or thousands of acres on the edge of town might be a different story. In that case the ratio might expand to 1:20 or even 1:50. Or it could be best to run a 1:10 ratio, but only place the trails within areas with some human impact already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    It is in fact dense. I would argue that the wildlife thing kind of depends on what sort of wildlife you have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock-4-trail-map.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	1137726
    Our trails are all pretty dense here, and they work just fine. We don't have much land to work with, so we do what we can. However, we get shortcuts, as shown in this map. We don't want them, but walkers/Stravassholes burn them in. Why would you ever want to intentionally have these shortcuts, especially so many?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Our trails are all pretty dense here, and they work just fine. We don't have much land to work with, so we do what we can. However, we get shortcuts, as shown in this map. We don't want them, but walkers/Stravassholes burn them in. Why would you ever want to intentionally have these shortcuts, especially so many?
    These shortcuts are built "semi-maintained" shortcuts, expressly so that walkers (who technically shouldn't be on these trails, but are impossible to keep out) race officials, people maintaining trails or folks with mechanical issues can make a speedier entrance or exit. It's really helpful actually. My last ride before I switched to tubeless, I pinch flatted in the rock garden out there. walking out wasn't as bad as it seemed like it would be with the short cuts.

On wuss patrol
    Yeah. Because in an urban park setting where developers level, without regard for wildlife habitat or wildlife present, a 40 or 100 acre plot adjacent to the natural park and build homes, the trails are going to cause habitat "fragments" in the remaining natural areas.

R38
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    [QUOTE=Glide the Clyde;13175908]Yeah. Because in an urban park setting where developers level, without regard for wildlife habitat or wildlife present, a 40 or 100 acre plot adjacent to the natural park and build homes, the trails are going to cause habitat "fragments" in the remaining natural areas.

[/QUOTE

There has to be a balance between recreation & preservation at any open space area. When you build a trail like it or not you have done damage to the environment and when you put a lot of trail into a small area: You have done a lot of damage to that small area.

On wuss patrol
    [QUOTE=R38;13176349]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Yeah. Because in an urban park setting where developers level, without regard for wildlife habitat or wildlife present, a 40 or 100 acre plot adjacent to the natural park and build homes, the trails are going to cause habitat "fragments" in the remaining natural areas.

[/QUOTE

There has to be a balance between recreation & preservation at any open space area. When you build a trail like it or not you have done damage to the environment and when you put a lot of trail into a small area: You have done a lot of damage to that small area.
    And you may have done a lot of drugs, causing damage to important parts of your body.

See, you can't even use the quote function correctly.

R38
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote function? Have you run out of talking points?

Don't get me wrong I am not against some trail: I just think that people should not get carried away with there building or should build trail illegally.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote function? Have you run out of talking points?

Don't get me wrong I am not against some trail: I just think that people should not get carried away with there building or should build trail illegally.
    *their

I have projects pushing a density of .8 mile per 10 acres that have been approved by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation. The biggest issue they have with ANY development site is how much land is disturbed at any given time, and they like to limit this area to one acre. Disturbed means, in this case, unfinished trail. Once it's finished, if built in a responsible and sustainable way, they don't consider it to have any environmental impact. All of these sites are in city parks.