mtbr member

Small ladder for installing intersection markers?

Hi, our local trails just got a great new map. But the intersection markers aren't up yet. I'm helping the land manager install them and they are to be installed on trees high enough to discourage casual vandals from stealing them.

I'll go solo most of the time, so I'll be carrying everything I need with me, and I'd like to travel by bike.

Anyone know of a good small, folding ladder that could fit in a pack. I have a dakine builders pack that has decent storage volume. I could probably fit some thing 18" long in it.

I have an idea of taking a 3 foot piece of 2x4 and cutting it in half and hinging it. Then insert some railroad spikes or large bolts into the sides to make some steps. Where the "ladder" contacts the tree and ground I could hammer in nails and cut the heads off to make studs for grip. If it's still unstable I could also rig up some kind of compression strap or tie down to secure the whole rig to the tree. Maybe even add a second hinge and third piece to extend it to 4.5 feet. It would probably start getting heavy at that point.

So, does my dream ladder exist? Is my 2x4 ladder gonna work? I'm pretty light. Is 3' gonna get me high enough up? I'll have a sign and drill in my hand too. Tool belt will probably be a good idea. Am I gonna be able to do this by bike? Whaddya think?
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We put up temporary markers in our local park (paper in plastic binder sleeves) for a mapping/planning effort, and had a lot of them vandalized. We used a 4-foot ladder to replace some and that's cut down, but not stopped, the vandalism. You may need a two-person walking work party to do this!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Check out some climbing sticks used for hunting out of treestands or they also have tree steps that tie onto trees with straps. You may also want to look at a harness that hunters wear if you are doing this by yourself.

mtbr member
    Jay, I have the climbing sticks they are talking about so don't go out and buy some. We can hang the signs the same way I hang treestands. Let me know when you want to meetup and I'll see if the time works for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, great suggestions.

Richlather (name cracks me up now that I know how it came about), thats awesome, I am meeting with the Watuppa res guy this Thursday. I'll mention the climbing sticks. Now that NEMBA has made me park VP I can borrow their trail building tools and stuff. They have a whole trailer full of tools and a muck truck motorized wheelbarrow! They also have a couple of BOB trailers. How large are the climbing sticks? Can we carry them in a pack, or would we need the trailer?
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    I ran this by my Dad, who's a hunter. He thought I could get individual steps that strap on, but it looks like they weren't very safe and have been taken off the market. Found this though.

Summit Bucksteps - Single Climbing Stick

It looks like it will fit in my pack and I can probably get high enough using just one, if I use my bike to get a boost onto the first step. I can mount it high enough to probably get my feet up about 4' above the ground. Looks like its got room for 2 feet too. I'll also need a linemans belt to wrap around the tree so I can work with both hands, but with this setup I should be able to mount the signs about 10' up.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Mine are about 4' each and about 4 lbs. 2 will get easily up to 10'

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Would something like this work for you????

TeleSteps 1205 12.5' Telescopic Ladder, 250 lbs rating

There are more options, but this may help get you started...Hope it helps
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Thinking between carrying climbing sticks, drills climbing harness and a pile of signs the cart is the way to go. Wouldn't want to wipe out with all that strapped to my back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^^ You have a point about wiping out with all that gear...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ride your old steel hardtail. Lean against tree. Climb, stand on toptube/seat, nail sign, repeat. I use an old toe strap on both wheels, fixed to downtube/ seattube to keep wheels from rolling.

mtbr member
    Well, I'm meeting tomorrow with the land manager. Depending on exactly how high he wants them I'm thinking that some combination of using my bike and one small climbing stick will work. He also is not sure what kind of fastener we'll be using, I think either coated screws or aluminum nails.

I'm pretty sure that the single step, signs, drill, screws and harness would still weigh less than a chainsaw with fuel and oil bottles. I have no problem riding at slow speeds with the saw so I think this is doable. Also, the NEMBA bob trailers seem to be in high demand this time of year, not sure if I could get one easily. (Its about an hour away)

I would also just be doing the signs that are far from dirt roads, many of them can easily be put up just driving around with a ladder. This guy also has keys to all the gates so he can go places by vehicle that I can't. He just needs me to put up the remote ones. I'll update this tomorrow once I run all this by him and see what he's thinking.

Oscar, that ladder is awesome, but overkill for what I need. 24 lbs is a dealbreaker too. A 6' version would probably be good.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Well I figured I'd revisit this thread and update it now that I've been installing the signs. I've come up with a pretty good system that is fairly quick and easy and can be carried in a pack while riding.

The key components of my system are a Dakine builders pack and a lineman's belt that I got from my cousin who works for the electric company.

The Dakine pack is key because its big enough to fit all the stuff and stable enough to ride with. Also, the back panel unzips like a suitcase so you can quickly and easily stuff the belt in there. The belt is pretty large and stiff (heavy duty leather) and I have attached a tool pouch to hold the sign, nails and hammer.

I've been using my bike to stand on as suggested by leeboh. I have straps that I can wrap around the wheels, but so far all I've used is an old velcro ski strap that I wrap around the rear brake lever. This holds it steady enough so I can climb up on it. Then I use the linemans belt so I can lean back and use both hands to put the sign up.

Here is a picture of my sign installing set up:

2012-11 021

So I've got my map, compass, ski strap, signs, folding saw and loppers for pruning, backpack, and linemans belt with attached tool pouch, nails, hammer, and small wooden block for pulling nails if needed.

Here's everything jammed into the pack, you can see how the back panel opens, this is key, because otherwise it would be real pita getting the belt in and out through the smaller top opening.

2012-11 022

And here's a shot of how the whole thing works.

2012-11 025
    NEMBA Freetown VP