Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slick bridges

I wreck alot

Slick bridges

I have two wood bridges on trails I help maintain that often times can get half way submersed in lake water, pending the severity of the storms and flooding we get (Florida). The slick surface left after the flooding makes the bridges unable to even walk across without slipping. Building the bridges higher is not an option.

While I was out in Colorado last month, I noticed they lined their wood bridges and ladder bridges with a metal mesh material so that tires and soles of shoes could have traction. It worked great out there.

Does anyone know what type of material is used for traction on wooden bridges? If so, have you ever seen is galvanized? I'm afraid if it wasn't, it would rust into an awful mess and could be even more dangerous.

HELP!

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    I have two wood bridges on trails I help maintain that often times can get half way submersed in lake water, pending the severity of the storms and flooding we get (Florida). The slick surface left after the flooding makes the bridges unable to even walk across without slipping. Building the bridges higher is not an option.

While I was out in Colorado last month, I noticed they lined their wood bridges and ladder bridges with a metal mesh material so that tires and soles of shoes could have traction. It worked great out there.

Does anyone know what type of material is used for traction on wooden bridges? If so, have you ever seen is galvanized? I'm afraid if it wasn't, it would rust into an awful mess and could be even more dangerous.

HELP!

Skid Tex additive. We mix it an opaque oil based stain.

RustOleum.com
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

I wreck alot
    I can't use anything like that. These lakes are Coastal Dune Lakes and only occur in a few places in the world. They are protected. Using something like that would never get approved. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Chamois Dropper
    I'm a Florida rider as well, but when I was in Georgia, the long bridges were covered in what looked like rabbit fencing to me. It's a galvanized steel mesh that has a square grid with about 1/2" squares, if I remember correctly.Smaller mesh and heavier gauge than chicken wire.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That metal mesh is some kind of material used for drywall.

I build my own.
    I don't endorse this company. I just did a quick Google search. I've used this stuff all over the place. The stuff they use to back stucco is the right gauge but I don't know if you can get it galvanized. Usually it isn't.

Expanded metal products that are left in their primary expanded state (not flattened).
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Chamois Dropper
    This is what I was thinking of. I guess they call it hardware cloth. It's galvanized.
    Hardware Cloth, 10 ft. x 24 in. - 3627047 | Tractor Supply Company
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

I wreck alot
    Thanks everyone! This rodent mesh stuff looks promising and is galvanized to boot! Going to make a run to the hardware stores tomorrow and check it out.

I wreck alot
    Actually, now that I know it's generally referred to as hardware cloth, I actually found this article by the Forest Service outlining it's use for bog walks, wetland bridges, etc.

Wetland Trail Design and Construction: 2007 Edition - 07232804 - Forest Service Publications - Publications - Recreational Trails - Environment - FHWA

You guys rock!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    SoWal MTBer, any thoughts on elevating the bridges?? Just saying...............

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hardware cloth has a notoriously short wear life and becomes more of a problem as it starts to break down. The potential for cuts and flats usually isn't worth the ease of implementation .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Ridge Guy View Post
    SoWal MTBer, any thoughts on elevating the bridges?? Just saying...............
    That would be my first solution.

We use the no-slip paint on structures in SFL. Works great but does get worn off over time. I have also seen structures that have been covered with asphalt roof shingles.

I4NI
    Wow, that looks like an awsome ride!

Just not the snakes and gators
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    I just saw on a downhill video that they lined their wooden structures with chain linked fencing. I would think that would last a long time.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    In Markham Park we use asphalt shingles for the wood features and it works fine. I can see a problem with them in a wetland area, as they could leach out some unwanted chemicals. The wire mesh may be your best alternative and I would pose the question as to what is used in the Rockies section on the forum... Some trail build guy will be able to tell you.

Why is increasing the elevation not an option???
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    home depot has lath >>>not purdy but works well 27 in. x 8 ft. Steel Lath-2.5 METAL LATH at The Home Depot

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    home depot has lath >>>not purdy but works well 27 in. x 8 ft. Steel Lath-2.5 METAL LATH at The Home Depot
    that was the stuff I was talking about. thanks Torque, I couldn't remember what it was called. Do you know if you can get galvanized lath? It doesn't say in the product description at Home Depot.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    that was the stuff I was talking about. thanks Torque, I couldn't remember what it was called. Do you know if you can get galvanized lath? It doesn't say in the product description at Home Depot.
    I think it is galvanized,from what i've seen this stuff doesn't rust

Good job!

Looks nice enough and should wear better than shingles. It will allow the wood underneath to dry out also as the biggest problem we have down here is wood rotting out, even if it is PT..
    I'll propose this to the peeps in charge and see if it is feasible for us to use as well...

I wreck alot
    More great information here! I really appreciate everyone's recommendations and input. Positive rep all-around!

Currently, I can't raise the bridges for a number of reasons. The first being cost. I'm currently the only trail maintenance volunteer with the land manager. Initially, many people showed interests and I created a legit group to organize, but I seem to find myself alone performing all of the work thus far.

Secondly, the cost to build new bridges. These aren't simple walk-overs. When the lakes rise, the water moving beneath the bridge can be very strong. The new bridges would have to be built very well. I've already put out a few hundred dollars of my own making fixes, buying supplies, etc elsewhere on the trail. Funding for this type of stuff is pretty much non-existent.

Lastly, I'm not an experienced wood worker...yet.

That said, I was trying to find a fix that could last until something changes and I either have more help, more money, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

I wreck alot
    Land Manager just returned my phone call and said his boss in Tallahassee gave him approval to go purchase rolls of galvanized lath and rodent mesh! I'm picking it up tomorrow. I will report back with finished product when I get this stuff down on the bridges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What about rough cut lumber? Score the surface with a saw?

mtbr member
    Land Manager just returned my phone call and said his boss in Tallahassee gave him approval to go purchase rolls of galvanized lath and rodent mesh! I'm picking it up tomorrow. I will report back with finished product when I get this stuff down on the bridges.
    The lath comes in sheets and has sharp edges you may want to cover these edges
    to prevent flats and people tripping on them. you could use something like this trim piece.>>>1/2 in. x 10 ft. Metal L Trim-360082321 at The Home Depot If you can't find flat stock,just bend this flat or as needed,cut with tin snips and frame the lath like you would a picture,use big head galv. roofing nails or simliar screws .

... and if we just ...

That is good news!
    To get help doing any kind of trail work is like pulling teeth from a worm. If all the lip service we get would move dirt as well as hot air, we'd be riding Mount Everest!!
    Don't let it get you down and remind yourself that you do this for yourself and no one else. This will keep you sane.. Believe it, lest you want to go ....

mtbr member
    i've seen galvanized chain link fence used as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast