Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Check out this video of some killer bmx trails:

Solstice 2012 on Vimeo

Note how berms and hip jumps are an essential part of BMX trails. It's not just 3 jumps doubles in a straight line in a field !

Go faster!
    I have a hard enough time trying to figure out why people drink PBR let alone shotgun it.

Nice vid though.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Check out this video of some killer bmx trails:

Solstice 2012 on Vimeo

Note how berms and hip jumps are an essential part of BMX trails. It's not just 3 jumps doubles in a straight line in a field !
    Did you help build there - looks like your sort of craftwork? Rad vid for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Did you help build there - looks like your sort of craftwork? Rad vid for sure.
    No, I jut came across the link elsewhere. I would say my craftwork, hah hah, has a slightly different style--basically I take that same type of layout with berms and rollers and similar speed... but I like to make jumps a little mellower, but sometimes with longer gaps (and often filled in as tables) for more of a bmx race or Mtb 4-cross / flow trail style of

I think jump trails are better when there are only a few tall-steep-lip-short-gap-booster sets, but there are lots of long-and-lows, scrubbing stepups and things like that. So you just cruise through it fast and flow and low, and every now and then hit a trick set--whereas a lot of Bmx builders like to build every lip as a booster (not all, though,--there was a style especially in the 90's of Bmx trails built by racers rather than park riders that had more of the style I like to build). Of course I fully respect their style as well.
    Here's a edit from our pump-jump track:
    KD's BDJ @ WCPT on Vimeo
    If I could "adopt" someone else's trail in a video right now, it would be this one:
    http://vimeo.com/m/50998782 I'm gettin old (late30's) so it's cool to have a mellowed trail but with the same vibe.
    Last edited by cmc4130; 12-25-2012 at 07:10 AM.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    That Sunnyside park is a massive undertaking. Should be sweet when it's done!
    yes, it will also be a showcase for the city and a useful demonstration/education site for other municipalities to see what is possible.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    I think Lee McCormack did an excellent job on the design for the Superior Bike Park in Superior Colorado.

I especially like how he used a "Flow Track" concept for the dirt jumps. Note how the berms are part of the experience. Note how there are rollers mixed in. Note the slight curve of the path.

Like ccarsten said earlier in this thread, it's extremely important for bike clubs/municipalities to listen to and understand the needs of the core group of riders (bmx'ers and DJ-mtb'ers) for a DJ park.

Lee Likes Bikes

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Ridnparadise that is one sweet park setup is this on priate, county, state property and how many acres does it sit on. I really love the open look!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hear is some videos of a trail I built In Spokane, WA at our local bike park.
    Trail is 4.5-5% grade, 1/3 of a mile long, drops less then 80 feet in elev and has 25+ features along it.

doing at lot with a little land.

Hollywood line Video - Pinkbike

Lush Cinema - Three Times Thursday Video - Pinkbike

Hollywood Line- Beacon Hill Video - Pinkbike
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Ridnparadise that is one sweet park setup is this on priate, county, state property and how many acres does it sit on. I really love the open look!
    It's great fun for sure. Lake Crackenback Resort is a private resort with a little golf course, trout fishing in the river, all sort of other activities, a day spa, plus holiday and residential accommodation. There are 2 (snow) ski resorts accessed by road or underground cog railway just up the road. It is just outside the boundary of the national park, but the XC trails go into the park. Not sure how large the resort is, but the skills area would be over 1-2 acres I guess - it's pretty open. They have an active MTB club there and welcome anyone with a bike or wanting to hire one. Really friendly at the bike shop.

Interactive Map - Lake Crackenback Resort - Lake Crackenback Resort

Off the back...
    A little bit of progress. We were able to talk with the City, and the park/community liaison has agreed in principle. Still no funding, and no public announcement.

I don't imagine this design will stay as is. The advanced lines on the left may not allow for enough speed to hit that first jump line unless there's a significantly elevated start point. The directions of some of the intersections will need fixing for sure, and I have to come up with some tech features to fill in the gap between the beginner section and the intermediate section. We are limited by the height of the wooden features. I suppose we could build the wood rollers and A-frames with piles of dirt under them to reduce the fall height. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Hear is some videos of a trail I built In Spokane, WA at our local bike park.
    Trail is 4.5-5% grade, 1/3 of a mile long, drops less then 80 feet in elev and has 25+ features along it.

doing at lot with a little land.

Hollywood line Video - Pinkbike

Lush Cinema - Three Times Thursday Video - Pinkbike

Hollywood Line- Beacon Hill Video - Pinkbike
    That looks awesome--exactly the type of thing I would build (and have built). Riders building for riders is always the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    A little bit of progress. We were able to talk with the City, and the park/community liaison has agreed in principle. Still no funding, and no public announcement.

I don't imagine this design will stay as is. The advanced lines on the left may not allow for enough speed to hit that first jump line unless there's a significantly elevated start point. The directions of some of the intersections will need fixing for sure, and I have to come up with some tech features to fill in the gap between the beginner section and the intermediate section. We are limited by the height of the wooden features. I suppose we could build the wood rollers and A-frames with piles of dirt under them to reduce the fall height. Hmmm.
    As for tech features, like A-frames, YES. And, yes, I say absolutely add dirt to reduce the fall height. Do not let arbitary height restrictions reduce the basic functionality and radness..... Sometimes compromise is okay. But sometimes, compromise leads to a watered-down result that is no longer cool. And if it's not cool, it will end up not working as a destination spot.

My buddy was originally talking about this being 3 feet high... I convinced him to go for 5' high, and it turned out way better. It was intimidating for some riders at first, but now everyone loves it. And it's just one basic thing.

Another thing on perceived risk and height--sometimes people think the taller something is, the more advanced it is, and therefore, beginner stuff should be short/low. This can be a fallacy. Small obstacles--jumps in particular... can be more abrupt when they are short. By basic geometry, as well, there is less horizontal space to land on landing that is a short triangle than a taller one... Angles and speed are more related to beginner/intermediate/advanced than is height. A tall but mellow jump is actually easier for a beginner than a short steep one.

I originally proposed the feature, by showing a pic of this build at Keystone... We changed the shape of the center section somewhat to make it easier / less intimidating to xc riders who weren't going to gap it....

Pace Bend . . . . opportunities - Page 7
    Last edited by cmc4130; 01-20-2013 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hi all! i am new here but i have some questions and i/we need some help!
    i with a bunch of guys want to build a dj/pump/4x park , we get a terrain in the woods but we dont have experience in drawing (making the plan/blueprint). area is almost 8000 square meters all we need its a great plan to build it. we'd like it to be for skilled and entry-level riders
    i will provide all the mesures that we make
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4lww4xipsbdutxp/E_qfRYKVdy
    we need your advice , help us to build the greatest park in romania.
    Ps:sorry for my bad english :P

mtbr member
    vicx2ww

Contact Hilride --> http://www.hilride.com
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks a lot HypNoTic ! but our budget is limited we need some ideas for design and planning the park and will try to build it. our budget can support the dirt and excavator .
    we cant afford to pay a specialized company to build/or design it for us!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicx2ww View Post
    hi all! i am new here but i have some questions and i/we need some help!
    i with a bunch of guys want to build a dj/pump/4x park , we get a terrain in the woods but we dont have experience in drawing (making the plan/blueprint). area is almost 8000 square meters all we need its a great plan to build it. we'd like it to be for skilled and entry-level riders
    i will provide all the mesures that we make
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4lww4xipsbdutxp/E_qfRYKVdy
    we need your advice , help us to build the greatest park in romania.
    Ps:sorry for my bad english :P

Do you guys already have jumps? If so, show us some pictures or video. I need to know what your skill level is--at riding and building.

And read through this whole thread ! :

DJ , Pump Track plans

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    right now there is just a marshy meadow and a lot of shrubs! if you will look in the link that i posted you will see the terrain!we are waiting the snow to melt and good whether to start the cleaning process, but till then we hope to have a plan/blueprints of the park! i hope to gather the craziest and the most innovative ideas from you . here we dont have parks like you have
    we get this terrain from a sponsor and he will help us to build(with the machines),but the rest of the thing we must improvise(we all volunteered for) so please help us to make true this dream for all local riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicx2ww View Post
    right now there is just a marshy meadow and a lot of shrubs! if you will look in the link that i posted you will see the terrain!we are waiting the snow to melt and good whether to start the cleaning process, but till then we hope to have a plan/blueprints of the park! i hope to gather the craziest and the most innovative ideas from you . here we dont have parks like you have
    we get this terrain from a sponsor and he will help us to build(with the machines),but the rest of the thing we must improvise(we all volunteered for) so please help us to make true this dream for all local riders.
    I can't open the link you posted. You need to read the thread I linked to "DJ, Pump Track Plans."

If you are not going to hire a professional designer / builder, then you need to LEARN to do it yourself. If you build one jump at a time you will learn a lot. I have already posted lots of information, drawings, pictures, and videos. Good luck.
    Last edited by cmc4130; 01-21-2013 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    here is the link again! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4lww4xipsbdutxp/E_qfRYKVdy tell me if you can open it!!?!?

Off the back...
    Update:
    In the last few months we have made a little progress.
    - "coming soon" signs will go up in the area as soon as we can get them made, hopefully about a week
    - once signs are up, the fill can be delivered, 150 yards or more
    - the fill is quite gravelly, but beggars can't be choosers, and we'll screen where needed
    - we have a water source
    - the area city councillor and community associations have been informed
    - the last step in notifying the community is coming up: door-to-door visits of the houses that back onto the site
    - I'm going to buy a new shovel

Off the back...
    Another update:
    - 150yds of fill to be delivered next week !
    - Minister of Parks to visit for a photo op in 10 days
    - may have 6 days worth of skid steer time + operators being donated
    - support for the park from the adjacent homeowners is at 98% or something
    - stage 1 to be built by the end of July

I'm kinda stoked.

Off the back...
    Still more progress! Official ground breaking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2