Zach Attack

SK650 Track Drive Cog Question...Help!

Hey Mates,
    Started work on phase II of the Culvert Trail Project in Auburn Calif yesterday. Over a year in CEQA environmental process...it is always such a killer feeling when a trail is finally shovel ready.

After a killer day of cutting these killer banked turns etc... the drive axle for the track cog started to spin independent. Pulled the track, then unbolted the cog and it is a tapered compression fit. Axle had some gouges on it that must have been intentfully done in the past. They were pretty worn smooth. Put the puppy back on and at full tension on this nut, it still slipped. Thinking it might be at full extent and bottoming out.

Has someone dealt with this before? Thinking of bringing cold chisel to do some scarification of the surface to increase bite and stand off.

Any suggestions?

z
    Learn to love it[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
    www.foresttrailsalliance.org

mtbr member
    Never had such an issue with our SK650.

I can't wait to try the new 755 next week at the PTBA conference. Looks like the tracks are the biggest upgrade, with WAY more clearance under the machine and better design, which should make the machine more stable. Price is good enough to consider replacing our 650 with that one
    A trailbuilder from the north

Zach Attack
    Found out at one time there was a key but it had been sheared off and blended so intently sprocket was not salvageable. Threads hammered so looks like a new spindle rebuild kit also. Going to try and cold chisel old key out of spindle and get er working. Trail to build!

Zach Attack
    Not making it to the PTBA conf again. Busy and too much $$. $2500 last estimate...ouch. Getting good vibes from Conf committee though about holding more informal regional gatherings on off years. Less expensive and easier to manage.

Would love a new sk650 too. Solid machine and hoping that new one has improvements like a track tensioner bolt head related to a known measurement and size. The clearance will sweet too. Sk350 track controls are much nicer I think too than stubby 650 ones. Cant wait to try one.

mtbr member
    Kinda wish they went with grease tensioner instead of a always-stuck-in-our-crappy-weather bolt. Reinstalling a dropped track on our 650 takes at least 30min of fighting with the damn bolt :/
    A trailbuilder from the north

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HypNoTic View Post
    Kinda wish they went with grease tensioner instead of a always-stuck-in-our-crappy-weather bolt. Reinstalling a dropped track on our 650 takes at least 30min of fighting with the damn bolt :/
    That is a tapered fit shaft, and the castellated nut requires around 300 foot pounds of torque. I bought a $450 torque wrench to get the job done; I also had to use a four foot cheater bar on it. Some of the torque wrenches that go to 600 Ft.lbs. are upwards of $1000.

That key will shear in half again if you do not torque it properly; I'm speaking from experience on this. It's only a matter of time.

I've replaced my drive cogs once, the keys twice, the idler pulleys once, and the tracks three times.

D

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HypNoTic View Post
    I keep a 1/2"-drive 30mm socket with an extension or two and U-joint to loosen and tighten that square head bolt. You can stick the socket and extension through an access hole by the drive cog, and, with the extension (I think I use 6".), you can run it either way. If you go too far out, you cannot get the socket off. At some point, you have to go back to an open end wrench.

I've had to work on both the hydraulic tensioner (grease reservoir) and the spring & bolt tensioner. Each has merit. I didn't like all the grease coming out on the hydraulic one but definitely liked that it didn't creep/loosen as much as the spring & bolt one.

D

Zach Attack
    Awesome info. Thanks. Drive cog was so smeared that machine shop could not clear keyway. Purchased new cog and was able to clear keyway on spindle. Spindle is leaking oil though so need to either purchase new rebuild spindle ($475)and bearing kit or new motor($700). Any recommendations? Not sure what else may wear with motor but tempted to replace whole motor for only $2oo more. Do you know any place to get a better price on DW parts? Local deal maxes markup.

Thanks for info on Torque required. Prior nut was rounded so we picked up a new one and greased the nut to get er on there tight, one of the operators installed it though so not sure how tight. Also extra keys. Spindle is pretty worn though so planning on replacing one way or other.

I have the grease track tensioner on my excavator and totally hate the grease ejection for decompression. After a year of cursing the socket approach, finally got an open box wrench with a ratchet end. Cost $50 but so worth it. It is only 1/2" thick so easy to back bolt all the way and still get it off. Ours is 1 1/4" 12 tooth wrench. Could not find any other size to fit. What was DW thinking!!? Called factory and several service dealers and none new of a wrench made to fit.

Got it back together yesterday and worked all day without issue.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachi View Post
    Awesome info. Thanks. Drive cog was so smeared that machine shop could not clear keyway. Purchased new cog and was able to clear keyway on spindle. Spindle is leaking oil though so need to either purchase new rebuild spindle ($475)and bearing kit or new motor($700). Any recommendations? Not sure what else may wear with motor but tempted to replace whole motor for only $2oo more. Do you know any place to get a better price on DW parts? Local deal maxes markup.
    I don't know of any place but the DW dealer to get parts, unfortunately.

Without seeing it, I would guess that the spindle is causing the leak b/c it cannot seal but am not 100% sure. And by motor, do you mean the drive motor for the track?

Dewayne

Zach Attack
    Finished project today without further incident.

Yeah, the drive motor for track. I have rebuilt my excavator track motor and it had a lot of moving parts. Only service option is spindle and bearing assembly so it sounds like this is the main service option.

zachi