mtbr member

sign height on trails

We are getting ready to sign our young trail system, a lollipop loop with around 10 miles, made up of 8 different named trails. We are in a desert with good visibility.

We are planning on using steel posts coated with rustoleum. We are using 1-1/2" square tubing set in the ground as a sleeve for the 1-1/4" square posts. We'll overlap the sleeve and post by 12" and then put a bolt through them both.

The plan is to have the signs be 3-1/2ft off the ground. This seems like a good height to us but we are not experienced with signing trail systems. It has been brought to our attention that with such short sign height, someone may fall on them and be injured. Should the signs be 5-6ft off the ground? That seems high to me and I don't recall seeing posts that tall.

Can somebody with experience signing trail systems comment on this? I appreciate any insight!

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    I like the low sign height. Although you say that the visibility is good I tend to blow by higher signs without seeing them! I would think if you have a 2"x6" sign board securely attached to the top of your 1 1 /4" post folks could not get badly injured falling on your signage!

Cheers,

Chris

saddlemeat
    The ideal height is at the riders eye level while on the bike, ~3'-5'. The bike traffic signal lights in the Netherlands are ~4', as I recall. We set our fiberglass marker signs 44" high and 48" to the side from the center of the tread (on 12"-24" singletrack).

I would use galvanized perforated steel tubing.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This is an interesting topic. Signs posted lower tend to disapear more quickly. Someone must be collecting signs............ Then if you post them higher more out of reach riders tend to not see them. Seems like you can not win....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    10 ft up on a tree. Have trees?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ten feet up may be a bit extreme since I don't think any of our sign thieves are that tall. LOL......

Mounted on trees and maybe 7-8 feet up.

I like bikes
    4' is the optimal height for trail signs.....Doesn't everybody know this? M.I.T. did an in-depth study. Proceed.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    High up reduces theft and vandalism.

mtbr member
    Well, thanks for the replies. We decided to go with signs 4 1/2 ft off the ground. When we get some up I'll snap photos. Hanging signs off trees would be cool but there aren't any trees anywhere to speak of! This is a desert, although sometimes the sage get big.