mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Saw: Corona vs Chainmate

Happened to be on a ride today where a guy had the Corona saw on him and we got to cut a tree down that fell on the trail. Felt good about doing some proactive maintenance so figured I'd start carrying a saw. Looked stuff up and seems the Corona saw from Lowes has great reviews (Shop Corona 10-in Folding Pruning Saw at Lowes.com). Was going to be what I buy until I looked at Amazon and saw those "hand chain saws".

What are your guys thoughts on those? Seems lighter, smaller, and possibly more versatile.

Amazon.com : Chainmate CM-24SSP 24-Inch Survival Pocket Chain Saw With Pouch : Hole Saws : Patio, Lawn & Garden

-Tom

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Much discussion, look thru the threads.
    Silky is the best if you're serious but Caronas work fine and don't cost very much.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry, pulled the trigger on the thread too early. Couldn't search for "saw" as it was too short, but ended up thumbing through the backlog of posts and found info.

Went with an 8" Corona as it's compact enough to stuff into my camelbak and forget about. I won't be taking down super big trees, but can just help with downed stuff here and there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Much discussion, look thru the threads.
    Silky is the best if you're serious but Caronas work fine and don't cost very much.
    +1 on the Silkys.
    Hard to beat a folding Silky for carrying along on rides. You can get your choice of blade length and tooth count to suit your needs in a high quality saw. They just replaced a broken Gomboy blade under warranty after many years of heavy use. I was going to just buy a replacement blade but they warrantied it.

trail rat
    You would be surprised what you can do with a Corona folding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saw: Corona vs Chainmate-cimg1036.jpg  

Saw: Corona vs Chainmate-cimg1038.jpg  

Saw: Corona vs Chainmate-cimg1040.jpg  

Saw: Corona vs Chainmate-cimg1041.jpg  

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    +1 for the Corona folding saw. I have the 10" blade model and use it all the time to clear deadfall and for general trailwork. It fits nicely in my small Camelbak and the weight isn't noticeable. One thing to keep an eye on, the bolt and nut that attach the blade to the handle comes loose. The bolt is not long enough to engage the nylon insert in the lock nut and will readily unscrew itself with use. I just lost the bolt to mine yesterday but replaced it with some hardware I had in the garage that solves the issue for good. I also added a para-cord lanyard.

The saw can also be used to hack back non-woody plants that grow up along the sides of the trail (kind of like a hand sickle). The teeth bend/break if used in this manner to cut anything with a woody stem.

I have never used the Silky versions but I can't imagine the higher price-point translates to that much better performance.

The chain saw style saw seems very inefficient for human powered applications. Its design requires removing 2-3 times as much wood as a folding saw which will require using more energy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "I have never used the Silky versions but I can't imagine the higher price-point translates to that much better performance."

If just depends on how much cutting you're doing.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know this is an ambiguous question, but generally how long do the blades on Silkys last and how does that compare to the Corona blades?

I used a 10" Corona folder for around a year doing pruning, clearing deadfall (hardwoods), brushing, grubbing, and other things it wasn't technically made to do without failure (sans the hardware loosening issue) or significant cutting performance loss. I didn't get to see its demise because I lost it before that point (have since replaced it with another of the same saw). Maybe I got the good one from the batch, but it wasn't apparent to me that spending over twice as much for a comparable Silky model (Ultra Accell 240mm - $55) would have significantly increased the amount of work I was able to perform. If durability is a critical factor, the Silky would need to outlast two of the Corona saws before more value was had and I have my doubts that the blade would stay sharp that much longer.

Granted, if cost was not an option I would probably choose the Silky brand saws but for many that extra $35 can be put to better use. A Rogue Hoe comes to mind or even buying two of the Corona's and giving one to a riding buddy or fellow trail gnome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I prefer the hand chainsaw for carrying with me when I ride -- small/light/packable so I can just keep it in my pack and remove trees in a pinch. I prefer a longer Silky if I am going to ride somewhere that I know there are trees down or am hiking out to do maintenance -- the Silky's cut crazy fast.

I have snapped blades on a couple of Corona-style saws and left scars in the process, I don't use folding saws anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aero901 View Post
    I know this is an ambiguous question, but generally how long do the blades on Silkys last and how does that compare to the Corona blades?
    The 300mm Gomboy I mentioned was used at volunteer workdays by multiple people for 5 or 6 years and then used daily professionally building for about 3 years before the blade broke. It was still cutting fast and clean when it broke and since Silky did a warranty replacement it is good for another long run. I have owned a Corona folding saw and a Corona pole saw and neither one performed or lasted anything like the Silkys. It all boils down to what you are cutting, how frequently you use it and how much you want to spend. I am a fan of quality gear and even if I did not use my saw daily I would have the Silky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    "You would be surprised what you can do with a Corona folding."
    If you're young, healthy, and strong, and not old, weak, and burned out like me.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedarbranchbiker1 View Post
    "You would be surprised what you can do with a Corona folding."
    If you're young, healthy, and strong, and not old, weak, and burned out like me.
    Motivated to keep as young as I can at 64. Trail work and bike rides work so far. Age is a state of mind. It did take me about 3 hours to cut all those branches you see laying on the ground.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Love to hear from someone my age still "doing stuff". I tend to be a bit lazy at times. Summer heat and humidity tends to slow me down.