Thread: Sad News

I build my own.

Sad News

Some of you may know that I have spent the last 20 years or so building trails for the local middle school bike club on Vancouver Island.

The short version of the story is that I started building the trails THEN I got permission. The land is owned by a logging company and there was never any doubt that the land would be logged eventually. The PR lady was very nice and actually had a lot of fun when I took her riding on her trails.

I no longer live in that town and the leader of the school bike club just sent me an email that he has been informed that the land is going to be clearcut this winter. He's pretty sure that everything is going.

Fortunately a few years back I started building in the clearcuts so there will still be some trails for the kids to ride.

I think I'll be heading back out there this spring to see if there is anything salvageable after the cutting is done. I could have a few more years of work. Cool! I thought I was done there.

The pink areas on the map below are the potential cut zone. The rest has already been logged. The red lines are logging roads and the green lines are the singletrack I've built over the last 20 years. There is over 20km of singletrack.

So it's the end of an era but the beginning of a new one.

Sad News-qbmsmaplogging.jpg
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 11-13-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Hermit
    Wow. That's a lot to take in.

First, cudos to you for taking on a job that you knew was likely doomed. I'm sure a lot of kids have had a lot of good times on those trails.

Then good for you to immediately think about bring them back. I've read your story on here and know you're not at you're strongest right now, yet you immediately think about rebuilding. Hell yeah.

Thanks to the trail builders everywhere.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Off the back...
    Damn! Any chance of them leaving buffer zones around the trails or anything like that?

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Damn! Any chance of them leaving buffer zones around the trails or anything like that?
    I haven't spoken the the logging company yet. I will be bringing that up. I have a very good relationship with them.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hope it works out and you can get them to leave you a buffer zone. I ride the ganaraska forest (ontario) a lot and the loggers usually leave us a few trees so it still feels like were in the forest.
    Mac

Unpredictable
    It is sad TN, but there has to be a silver lining. In Rotorua New Zealand there is a trail agreement between the logging industry and the stewards that may have resonance. They have the go ahead to use the land as it attracts tourist $$. So long as there is encouragement to rebuild, then look at this as a truly blank pallet. Building trail in open country allows easier line selection, a more straightforward feel for flow and most importantly, riders can see what is coming and let rip on terrain they may otherwise fear. There's a future

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    It is sad TN, but there has to be a silver lining. In Rotorua New Zealand there is a trail agreement between the logging industry and the stewards that may have resonance. They have the go ahead to use the land as it attracts tourist $$. So long as there is encouragement to rebuild, then look at this as a truly blank pallet. Building trail in open country allows easier line selection, a more straightforward feel for flow and most importantly, riders can see what is coming and let rip on terrain they may otherwise fear. There's a future
    Apparently it is a bit of a battle in Rotorua though. As one of the builders explained it to me a little while ago, they are allowed to rebuild the damaged trails, but cannot build new trails unless they get permission first from the local Maori people.

Unpredictable
    A bit like Appin??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    A bit like Appin??
    At the moment we can't even access the area.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    As a fellow trail builder/maintainer I feel for you TN. There may be a silver lining like others said, but all that work that went into all these trails you built..
    It is great that you have a good relationship with the logging company and maybe they are willing to lend a hand with a dozer here and there to help out rebuilding some of your work.
    One can hope....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

here's to hoping you can work out an amicable agreement to minimize damage to the actual trail tread in a way that still lets them get their work done.

I build my own.
    ... and with a few well placed emails:

- I have someone mapping the trails (I'm 3000 miles away).

- The logging company has agreed to treat the major trails as creeks. this means they will leave some raggedy assed trees along the trails but most importantly they won't yard the trees out across the trails and they will take care not to damage the trails with equipment.

- They will cut small areas at a time and keep the school club informed about where they will be working on a daily basis so the kids can still ride when they are working.

I don't think I could have asked for more. Some of the narrower more technical trails will be destroyed (area 64, steve's, eric's, and shadow) but there will be enough saved that the kids will still be able to ride until I can get back there and build them some kick-ass clearcut flow trails.

Sad News-916043.jpg

I'd call that a small victory

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Good job!

That is good news! I am glad to see that the logging company cares enough to work around the trails and leave a lot intact. They could have easily just gone 'gangnam' style in clearing the land..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT