mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Rock Sling Designs

Working on a new trail that has some big stream crossings and lots of rock work. I'm gonna build a rock sling but am looking for the best design. I've seen the Sparticus and it looks pretty nice. I wonder if it works as well for 2 people as it does for 6 people. Any other good deisgns that you would recomend? I've never used one so looking for some input from the experienced rock crowd.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Sas...

How far do you have to carry rocks and what is the ground like?

If you have room, more people is always better. I use wheelbarrows where I can, or logs to roll big'uns into place with pry bars to finish off. A simple rock sling made from tow straps works good also. The key is to get it around the big rock so it is secure. Usually doing a cross or figure 8 will help, but here again it depends on the rock we speak of. A few long steel pry bars and short logs to pry off of work good. I also use thick rubber or leather gloves to grab and hold. Stay away from pinched fingers, that hurts!...

...just some tips hope it helps ya!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Best resource for rock moving tools and supplies:

http://www.trailservices.com/PDF/2011_catalog.pdf

Look on page 16 for a lightweight version of the spartacus chain sling...in nylon it's easier to carry to and from the work site.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A few spots require armoring 10 foot wide creeks. There are a lot of large rocks up and down creek that we will be sourcing so carrying rocks over rugged rockly terain. Other rocks will be sourced from wooded area all around the trails. A wheelbarrow, sled, or cart won't work. I like the nylon sparticus idea but that would be hard to make. Looking for homemade options.

Delirious Tuck
    Wheelbarrows seem ok until someone gets hurt.

I prefer three rock bars if a short distance, if you're hauling though sparty is great...

Our crew has an awesome nylon homemade spaticus by dfrancefort aka BikerDave.

4x55'' long heavy duty climbing ropes (10.5mm) with loops at each end (figure 8 knots)
    Linked with 4 evenly spaced 1/3 or 1/4 Nylon rope "webbing"

use a rock bar to nudge the rock onto the sling/web then insert either rock bars or stout aluminum poles through the loops at each end of the climbing rope, lift from legs (not back) and away you go... Add more people for heavier weight.

We've had success with up to 600lbs rocks, this switch back was 100% hand built:
    Rock Sling Designs-224486_978865229124_1149851_n.jpg
    Rock Sling Designs-285166_978863327934_3159723_n.jpg

That's an XL 29er in the second pic for perspective...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I posted a design for another home-made sling in this thread Spartacus - Heavy Lifting Tool

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'm gonna go ahead and build the Sparticus. By my calcs is should be around 16 lbs which doesn't sound too heavy but I'm sure I'll rethink that if I have a long hike in to do work. It seemed the most durable and verstile though. I'll post pics of the build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rock nets work very well.

The rock net I use is a heavy duty cargo or fish net. It's about 3 feet by 6 feet. Find a beefy one, if you get a net to thin it hurts to hold. Plus you can stick two rock bars thru the net to make it easy for four people to carry it. You can drag the net too!

I think these work way better then a sling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock Sling Designs-net-up.jpg  

Last edited by mtbty; 02-09-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    we use some old 3 inch firehose that we lay in a grid and use a bolt to hold together. works well and is fairly indestructable