HIKE!

Rapid City Dirt Jump Park in progress.

Lots of time and effort from many individuals in this project. 2 1/2 years from original idea to build a DJ Park on City Park Land, to this:

www.bhmba.org

www.pumptrackbuilder.com

Keep on checking those sites for updates.

HIKE!
    Things are progressing greatly! Ben Blitch (www.pumptrackbuilder.com) has been our first rate Five Star General in building this project. Our club (www.bhmba.org) has almost 3 years of paper work behind this. We went down a few blind alleys in the process, but found an engineer firm to donate a good $10k in work to get us through the permits and City Planning process (permits, drawings, permits, meetings, permits). Must have a 3 inch thick file on this project at the City by now.

This park is built by BHMBA using entirely zero tax payer dollars, and entirely on City Parks Land. It will be turned over to the City with our club in charge of ongoing repair and changes needing to be done. Free to users from dawn to dusk year round.

We've had good support now that things are on the ground, some area biz have ponied up a little cash, we've gotten discounts on lumber, equipment etc. A keystone was our excavation company coming through with some heavy fire power with a BF tracked excavator. So check Ben's website for some photos, it is phenominal. Another week of fine tuning, and more building!

Today we'll likely have 100+ kids down there. We will be running out of shovels! Ben has marshalled support from each rider group (there are man subsets withing the DJ/Urban set) and educated and enlisted them to take ownership in the park. It's a thing of beauty to see kids roll in, drop their attitudes and pick up a shovel! Stoke!

mtbr member
    You guys are doing great things up there. Makes me wish I still lived in the hills...

All the trailwork and progress you guys have made is impressive.

BTW Sparrow(not to hijack your thread)...What's your weight? Ive followed that with interest as well. Ive dumped about 35 lbs in the same timeframe(down to about 170) Keep that up as well. You ought to really be able to fly off of all those jumps.

I will definitely be trying out the pump track next time I am up there...(probably for the Dakota 50)

Looks great

HIKE!
    Two Pumptracks! And a pump/roller line, and plenty of tables from beginner on up (then the gaps, eeeek!). And there are some balance log rides, nothing high, but techy and fun.

Thanks for the props, www.BHMBA.org has been working hard, lots of folks in there pulling way more than their own weight!

Speaking of weight, dropped from 225 to 169 in 3 months exactly! Woo hoo, congrats to you are in order as well it sounds! Feel better than EVER and eating good stuff now a days. The month of May is set for just holding level at 170. www.bhfattirefestival.com has lots of beer in my future, plus riding, and gorging on fun bbq and burgers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The park is really awesome! We got a deluge of rain that kept the opening from happening but trust me, from the level of enthusiasm I saw it is a winner. Thanks again to sparrow,Drik,kelly and all others that put in the manual labor!

Who turned out the lights
    I don't know if you guys can post it publicly (or feel comfortable doing so), but I'd like to get some information from you about the costs involved in your project, especially for Ben Blitch. We are working toward a similar setup in Kansas City and I'm curious about the costs of hiring a professional to do the dirtwork.

We have two Dingos, but I think we could accomplish things much faster if we had an experienced operator on a big machine pushing dirt for a full week - instead of a bunch of volunteers pushing dirt around with mini-x's in their spare time.

Great looking project you have there - congrats.

HIKE!
    Send me a PM or email, I'll round up costs. Ben (and Jeff Lenosky) were straight up pros with solid work ethics. Ben was absolutely vital, he could talk to pierced up 18 year old 20" bmx riders, 40 year old XC ATB dudes, and the 60 year old City Council Aldermen. Perfect cat for the DJ Job.

We had a BIG excavator running 8 hours a day for 6-7 days straight, PLUS 3 Bobcats going for 12 days, an SK500 that put in 12 days, and a backhoe/front end loader that ran for 6-7 days. LOTS of dirt, all run by pros in the concrete/excavation trades. We would have been SCREWED to try to do with the originally planned 2 bobcats plus the SK500.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Send me a PM or email, I'll round up costs. Ben (and Jeff Lenosky) were straight up pros with solid work ethics. Ben was absolutely vital, he could talk to pierced up 18 year old 20" bmx riders, 40 year old XC ATB dudes, and the 60 year old City Council Aldermen. Perfect cat for the DJ Job.

We had a BIG excavator running 8 hours a day for 6-7 days straight, PLUS 3 Bobcats going for 12 days, an SK500 that put in 12 days, and a backhoe/front end loader that ran for 6-7 days. LOTS of dirt, all run by pros in the concrete/excavation trades. We would have been SCREWED to try to do with the originally planned 2 bobcats plus the SK500.
    Thanks again to you and all the others who put time in!