Thread: Quiet Comotion

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Quiet Comotion

Anyone heard of this event/group? One of the participants of their conference to be held in Boise, ID is the Wilderness Society. The website says the following:

"This conference will address how to manage public lands for the quiet recreation settings and experience necessary to preserve our traditional American past. The conference will also look at how we can protect and enhance the world-class natural settings and recreation heritage that are found on public lands in Idaho and throughout the West, and ensure long term sustainable access to our public lands."

I am thinking about attending to see what will be said.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Ride Responsibly
    does not sound real bike friendly. let us know

Ride Responsibly
    of course I could be wrong.
    [SIZE=2]Organizers and presenters of the conference include the following groups: The Wilderness Society, Idaho Conservation League, American Hiking Society, International Mountain Biking Association, Winter Wildlands Alliance, Washington Trails Association, Trout Unlimited, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, The Sonoran Institute, Outdoor Industry Association, as well as employees of the Bureau of Land Managment, US Forest Service and National Park Service.[/SIZE]

Seems like I would go over as well as a fart during church.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It would be good to have mountain biking presence at these meetings. Although it appears to me with all those groups and their statement it would be safe to assume most within the group will be "Wilderness Designation" happy, and probably aim their agenda at eliminating access to OHV. Personally not a group i'd gravitate to be particularly chummy with, but at the same time it's good to have mountain bikers be representative. That way if they plan on something that restricts access we have options to bargain or petition against.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    I'd say positive representation of our sport is worth the gas, especially when it's tied to Wilderness Area designations. Protect and voice our rights, use the facts about MTB vs. Hiking trail degredation/ erosion and smile!!........you have my vote to attend says the South Florida delagate!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been to several Quite commotions and they do usually have a good bicycle representation. One of the organizers of lasts years event in Glenwood Springs last year, Clare Bastable, is a hard Core mountain biker. There is very little of the us vs. them attitude (unless you bring it with you) and it's not necessarily all about wilderness designation as much as protecting wildlands from irresponsible OHV use as well as protecting presently quiet areas from the social impacts of OHV use.

While there is certainly some tension between the hard core wilderness/hiking folks and the mountain bikers, everyone gets along and considers each others allies, despite their differences. If you are a representative of MTB group, it's very worthwhile to attend if for no other reason than to meet a lot of folks who are involved in the conservation movement. You can also meet folks from the very highest level of the Forest Service and BLM along with County Commissioners, Open Space planners, and so on. You can learn a lot.

More contacts are always good. Does anyone think that showing up with letters of support from MTB groups around the nation is a good idea? MTB777 seemed to touch base on a good idea...when we, as MTB advocates, show up at events like this we should show up as united in our cause to keep trails open to MTB use. Just a thought.

Anyways, looks like I'll use up some paid-time-off to attend. It also looks like I'll be guiding some group rides for the event.

Ride Responsibly

walk a mile

Group rides can be a way to have folks out doing a mile in the other guys shoes.
    Try to have cyclist bring a second rig so hikers/equestrians can go on a bike ride, and definitely jump on any chance to ride a horse.
    Attached Images Attached Images