Thread: quick question

Human Power LLC
    Mar 2007

quick question

what is the term for creating a new trail by going around an obstacle, like a fallen tree, instead of removing it?

Thanks

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Aktion
    what is the term for creating a new trail by going around an obstacle, like a fallen tree, instead of removing it?

Thanks
    If the more sustainable/correct line is through the tree, then the term is lazy.

If the tree is used to make people do a grade reversal or force them one direction for a reason, say to control speed, then its called a "choke".

Can you post a picture?

Human Power LLC
    Mar 2007
    I'm referring to a tree that has fallen on a trail and lazy **cough** ATV users **cough*** just go around it into the scrub creating another or a wider trail.

I don't have a pic of the scene but I have been arguing with an ATV'r on another forum and he seems to think it's fine to go around it since "how could you possibly move it". Hmmmm, I don't know, if someone only had a powerful machine with a winch on it and maybe some type of gas powered device that could cut through wood.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I see the same problem here in Arizona with ATVs. If a tree falls across the trail, the ATVs will simply claw their way around it on a steep hillside and then justify it as "What other option do we have?". That fallen tree will stay in place for months while two trenchs are created in the hillside above. Here is the odd part though, if a tree instead falls in a way that makes it impossible for ATVs to ride around it, someone will chainsaw it out of the way within a week.

In answer to your original question, the trail around the tree is in worst case illegal (where travel is restricted to roads or trails) and in best case rider behavior that may get ATVs banned from that trail system. The correct behavior is to turn around, contact the land manager and then work with them to organize volunteer trail maintenance for that trail section.

BTW, why is it some mountain bikers carry small hand saws and shovels in their Camelbacks to perform on-site trail maintenance but you never see any tools on an ATV, which is far more capable of carrying them?

I'm on fire.
    I think that's referred to as trail braiding.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

Ride Responsibly
    User created by-pass or detour
    Last edited by LWright; 01-24-2008 at 10:06 PM.

SS FR HT
    if the trail is avoiding it, but the obstacle is still useable/crossable its a B-line, an A-line would be the obstacle itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

Human Power LLC
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bweide
    BTW, why is it some mountain bikers carry small hand saws and shovels in their Camelbacks to perform on-site trail maintenance but you never see any tools on an ATV, which is far more capable of carrying them?
    They need the room for bud light.