Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Pulsaski or Pickmattock heads? Got a broken tool?

I'm working on a prototype folding/telescoping Pulaski and just in the messing around stages - anyone got a broken Pulaski (or pickmattock would work fine too, this is a proof of concept type thing and I don't necessarily need the axe to see if it works) that they don't need the head from?

Long shot, I know. I see a rusty Chinese head on Ebay which I'll just buy if I don't find anyone with something.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Nevermind... just called Rogue and ordered a standalone tempered head. $25, score!
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

trail rat
    This piqued my interest, having used all three, but prefer a Rogue when possible outside of really rocky! Please keep us updated.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

I build my own.
    You guys get a chance, give one of these a try. I've been putting off getting one for a few years because I thought it might be too heavy. Oddly enough, I bought one to help build up my strength after my cancer treatments. Well it worked! But it's also THE best heavy digging tool I've used in 40 years of trail building.

http://www.amestruetemper.com/produc...887&LineId=104
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I *think* it'll be a 3 or 4-piece (head, 2-3 handle pieces) sort of deal. Attaching stuff near the head is easy because the joint can be a little bulky and it won't hurt the ergonomics of the tool. The break in the handle is a little tricker but I've got a few ideas. It'll probably be made from plain-jane 4130 cromoly because A) I have a lifetime supply in my junk bin, and B) I'm not super concerned with ultra light weight. My goal is to have the tool be packable in a "normal" (ie large 2-3L) hydration pack - ie something you can take on a ride and still enjoy yourself, then do some trailwork as well. Whether that's doable or not I don't know but the only portable tool I've seen is the Trail Boss which is not going to cut it for the stuff I need to do (lots of embedded limestone and quartzite cobbles, chopping up scrub oak occasionally). It also (IMO) looks fragile, though I've never handled one IRL.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I build my own.
    Are you talking about a 60" handle or a 40"? I would think a short handle like on a pulaski woudn't need to be more than 2 pieces. It would be nice to get a 60" handle into a pack.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    I'll be very curious to see this when you have it sorted Walt. I've personally been building a tool for a couple of years now that 90% of the time can deal with any kind of trail repair, and given a lamberton or something similar, can, between the two, build almost anywhere. The problem with trying to make my tool portable is the head of the tool itself. In fact, after looking at the head and deciding it couldn't be done, I never gave it a second thought. But I also never thought about a metal handle. I assumed I'd always need room on the head of the tool for a wooden handle to be bolted on. So...yeah, watching, waiting.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I'll certainly post some pictures and thoughts when I get some actual work done on it (I won't even have the head until next week sometime). It might be an awful failure, of course. I'm hoping to have something done in the next few weeks before the snow flies so I can actually test it out with a little digging, but that might be overly ambitious as I've got other stuff that needs building - and actually pays the bills!

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There was some discussion about these kind of tools on our local board. After looking at the Trail Boss system I immediately thought of S&S couplers. Couldn't find any pricing for the raw materials and they only sell to professional builders. You on the other hand........