Thread: Please Help!

mtbr member

Please Help!

Hiking groups are asking their members to write letters to the State trying to limit where cyclists can ride in the Catskills. This is copied from the NY/NJ Trail Conference:
    " ... * We support the prohibition of bicycles in Wilderness Areas and, though we do not conceptually oppose creating Primitive Bicycle Corridors in wilderness areas, we have the following concerns regarding two of the four proposed to extend through existing wilderness lands:
    o The Overlook Turnpike route on Overlook Mountain has heavy foot traffic and adding bicycles will result in conflicts.
    o The Colgate Lake Dutcher Notch Trail is a quiet shady environment which would be inappropriate for bicycle use.
    * We do support establishment of bicycle trails in the proposed Elm Ridge Wild Forest area but we strongly oppose any plan that would allow bicycles on the Long Path/Escarpment Trail; bicycles are not compatible with the width, grade, sight-lines or intended use of the LP.
    * The proposal to allow bicycles on all trails in Wild Forest areas unless marked otherwise will lead to confusion with Wilderness areas, where all trails will be closed to bicycles. The casual user not familiar with these regulations would have no way of knowing when he/she enters a Wilderness area, as some are as close as across the trail or road. If this situation is allowed to become fact, a major effort will be needed to mark all Wilderness trailheads against bicycles..."

It is very important that the DEC hears from cyclists supporting the new bike friendly Master Plan!
    It is helpful if you indicate you are a cyclist and are interested in enhancing riding in the Catskills. Anything you can add is a plus, but please be one of the people who stood up for cycling, AND BE COUNTED FOR IT!
    Even if you dont ride the Catskills much or at all, the new master plan will affect how other lands allow bikes on trails. Please...Let them hear from you!

DEC is accepting comments on the revised draft Catskill Park State Land Master Plan until May 19, 2008. Comments should be addressed to: Peter J. Frank, Bureau Chief, Forest Preserve Management, NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4254, or by email to lfcat@gw.dec.state.ny.us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    pedelar845,
    Thanks for the info. We don't have this problem in EVMA territory...no wilderness areas nearby,but West Virginia riders are dealing with wilderness designations and the exclusion of bikes. If I make it to the IMBA fest in the Shennandoah Valley this Memorial Day I will bring what looks a trend to everyones attention.

mtbr member
    I used to laff at the "Skating is not a crime" bumper stickers way back when, but these guys sound extremely militant. It seems really strange that we do not usually outwardly choose to ban any specific users from trails and these folks seem to think that they are the only people suited to have access and be blessed to use government owned land that ALL of us pay taxes for to use, purchase, and maintain.

How arrogant and self serving.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    More info can be found here: Hikers Oppose Allowing MTBing in Catkills

Please submit a letter regardless of where you live, we need all the support we can get...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The Overlook Turnpike route on Overlook Mountain has heavy foot traffic and adding bicycles will result in conflicts.
    This argument is invalid. Multi-use trails are meant to accommodate all trail users. Education of proper trail etiquette through the use of signage helps to eliminate conflicts.

The Colgate Lake Dutcher Notch Trail is a quiet shady environment which would be inappropriate for bicycle use.
    This is a ridiculous argument. A sixth grader could blast a hole in this stupid argument.

The proposal to allow bicycles on all trails in Wild Forest areas unless marked otherwise will lead to confusion with Wilderness areas, where all trails will be closed to bicycles. The casual user not familiar with these regulations would have no way of knowing when he/she enters a Wilderness area, as some are as close as across the trail or road. If this situation is allowed to become fact, a major effort will be needed to mark all Wilderness trailheads against bicycles..."
    This argument blatently states that bicyclists are stupid, easily confused, and don't possess the ability to read signs.

I'm in San Diego, CA. I'm emailing a response to these ridiculous, INSULTING, but more important, unsubstantiated claims. I hope these statements from the hikers are from some rogue individual(s) and do not reflect the majority of hikers in the area. If you have not already, try contacting hiking groups and make contact with sane members and share your concerns. Good Luck!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    [SIZE="7"]POST THIS TO THE "PASSION" FORUM![/SIZE]

This "Trail Building and Advocacy" forum doesn't get the same amount of traffic -- needed
    traffic.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is a link to IMBA's form letter: https://secure2.convio.net/imba/site...4f66t3f2.app8b

Do it today!