mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Packing single track in winter?

I'm looking for ways to keep snow covered singletrack packed during winter so I can ride my fat bike on them. we get a fair bit of snow here December through March and it is a lot of work keeping them packed by snowshoe because I am almost the only person on them regular. Yah I know my timing is off but I'm already plotting for next winter.

Any suggestions?

I build my own.
    I don't get snow here but I'd guess XC skiers would be good for singletrack.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    We pack with snowshoes and ride after a good, cold, night. A solid -20c will get you a baby ass smooth surface to ride, almost like pavement!
    A trailbuilder from the north

local trails rider
    Lots of people walking their dogs there throughout the winter works great for my local trails. No NEED for fatbikes, most of the time, but it looks like a fatbike is ideal when the edges start getting soft.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    same deal here, I purchased a set of these Marquette Backcountry Ski and just bought my wife a set, telling her that we are going to spend some quality time together out at my trails in the Winter,, she doesn't need to know that I am using her as a way to help get my fat bike out there...

call up the local hiking club, or boy scouts, find out if they snowshoe, and invite them out to the trails.

I've thought of using one of those mini "kitty-Kat" snowmobiles. to pack it down, but didn't want to lay out the money. I've seen where folks will pull a plywood sled weighted down behind them,,, more power to them, i guess that would be ok, for a short loop. but if you want to pack down some mileage,, I don't think that would work...