Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Organizing and hosting a trail building workshop

My college Mountain Biking Club wants to do a fundraiser, and I'd like to do a trailbuilding clinic here in Oneonta, NY. Over the past few years mountain biking has made huge leaps in this community, and we have finally obtained official permission to build more trail on state land owned by the NYS Office of General Services.

My question is this: What would it take to get a trail building clinic to happen and (more importantly) how do we get people to show up and throw some cash our way? Do we charge or do suggested donation?

While we are not an IMBA-affiliated group, we have learned a lot from the IMBA guidelines as well as from the countless places we have ridden. Since I have been building here for 4 years and will continue to do so for quite some time, I personally would probably lead the event, lay out the trail, give demos, etc. with assistance from other key bike community members.

Any input or advice is, as always, greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Sam B-S

mtbr member
    Seems like it would be hard to combine these two events. The past trail building clinics we have put on, I focused towards my trail coordinators, any body interested in becoming a trail coordinator, willing to work with a TC as a crew leader and even people interested in long term trail building. I didn't want an open to the public\club event where they would come, socialize, partake of free food\beer and then never see them again.

I picked a venue that we could hook up to at tv and used an IMBA trail crew video presentation, that had trail with available trail building and maintenance. We divided up into small groups with experienced trail crew leaders and we took them out to build trail under IMBA quidelines. Then we rewarded them with free food and beer afterward. The whole premise was based on serious invites only, you were going to work hard (summer time in NC) and you were expected to take this information to your stewardship or future work days.

Fundraiser: Host a race on another trail, hopefully close by and specifically tell the racers what and why and how their race fee will be used. Moar trail!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Any trail building school I have attended or taught has been open to the public. The more people who understand basic trail building and maintenance techniques, the better. Also, the more a sense of ownership one gets, the better.

You can possibly find someone to teach the class using www.trailbuilders.org , but IMBA is not likely to do it since you're not affiliated with them.

D

mtbr member
    Actually I did open it to the public. Just got a little carried away in my description. It was open to the public but I was very descriptive on the focus and the intended audience.

I believe that a club and a club's event should have a strong focus. Too much socially driven non focused events and leadership, I believe, can turn people off.

17 people at a workshop primarily dedicated to training existing TC's, future TC's\crew leaders and those interested regular trail work is very good I think.

TORC Trail Building Workshop - Triangle Off Road Cyclists (TORC) (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Become an IMBA affilated club, it's not that expensive. You will then be able to apply for a Trail Care Crew Visit. SMBA hosted one last year at Pittstown State Forest and got a great turnout for both the Land Manager session and the Trail Building School.