mtbr member
    Apr 2010

old trails through the woods in new england, anyone know the history?

I grew up in a massachusetts suburban neighborhood, through the woods behind our house was a fairly extensive network of trails, prob covering something close to a square mile before you hit main roads, rock walls running along side them in some areas... my father always guessed they were old 'farm trails' whatever that means. Anyone have any insight or better guess as to where these all come from?

You could clearly see where our neighborhood cut through them, like one would end and pick up behind a neighbors house or something... i get the feeling this is not uncommon in wooded/suburban areas around mass/new england.

They are great for biking around now but i always just wonder where they came from.

Delirious Tuck
    Couple things...

Stone Walls - old property boundaries / created to delinieate fields (easy since we have more loose large rock/boulders per square foot that most other places due to wisconsin glacier terminus being in the South to SE New England areas) / Sheep paddocks built during the merino wool bubble of the late 1790s-1810s

Old roads: A variety of things, old carriage trails to: old properties/fields/out buildings/logging or charcoal making area (which you could purchase rights to)... the charcoal production is neat, as towns grew folks would buy plots of forest and go out and harvest the wood and process it to charcoal and then wagon road it back into town. Pretty common in "suburban" areas.

backwoods and backwards
    I live on the CT/MA border on 110 acres. I utilized part of the old Hartford to Stafford stage coach road for access to my private trails. Alongside of that there is a stone cattle pen. We also have a bunch of old logging tracks through the property. I even dug up some broken hand turned pottery on the last bit of benching I did back there. The old timers in the family had said that until WWI a lot of the now wooded land had been open pasture.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    There are lots of old dirt bike trails,there used to be lots of enduro races in New England.