mtbr member
    Jul 2007

observation decks

Since theres 3 feet of snow on the ground I cant build so I've been thinking of things to add to my trail. I think an observation deck 10 to 15 feet up would be pretty cool. It would be a great spot to take photos and to watch. Has anyone ever done this and how has it worked for you. If you have pictures of it can you post them to give me ideas on how to build it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That is a pretty cool idea. Wouldn't be too hard to build, but it would take alot of material. Treated 4X6 for the posts, post hole 2 feet in with concrete, cross brace for strength then frame in a deck with treated 2X6 with 1X4 decking. Build a stairway and build a fence around the deck. Pretty much what you would do for a house, but you wouldn't have to be so elaborate. And you could use raw lumber if you have it available in place of lumber.

i would make it rideable myself.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    build a treehouse, you know you've always wanted one so just put her up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    That is a pretty cool idea. Wouldn't be too hard to build, but it would take alot of material. Treated 4X6 for the posts, post hole 2 feet in with concrete, cross brace for strength then frame in a deck with treated 2X6 with 1X4 decking. Build a stairway and build a fence around the deck. Pretty much what you would do for a house, but you wouldn't have to be so elaborate. And you could use raw lumber if you have it available in place of lumber.

i would make it rideable myself.
    I dont even need to put in posts. There are 3 trees on the side of the trail that are in the shape of a triangle.All I need to make is the deck, railing, and ladder or staircase.

Lockport Rippers
    Jul 2006
    I don't know if this will help and all, but here is a forum which has a bunch of sketchy stuff we built including a triangular observation deck/part of a ladder work section.

It is on page 7 of the thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/fr-builders-riders-central-pa-234657-7.html#post2324939