SS FR HT

North Shore Building Tutorial

So i have decided to share some info about building North Shore Stuff.

I am building a set of north shore runs at my parents property.

I am going to take pictures and diagrams to inform fellow builders. When i started i had no idea what to do. So i would like to set up a good amount of instructions for everyone to use

First: Ladder Runges

1. Cut down tree or preferably use unrotted dead falls. Im not going to get into what type of wood right now because you have to use what you have.

2. Select width in which you would like your runges to be and cut the tree accordingly

3.First picture: score section of tree to desired dimensions with a hatchet( or axe hatchet is just a little easier to handle) and a hammer or mallet.

4. Second picture:Place spliting wedge in on scored line and split with mallet. In my case i use the same hatchet for scoring and as a spliting wedge.

5. Third picture: you might have to move the wedge along the scored line to achieve a smooth split.

6: Fourth Picture: Cut ends off of split section.

7: Fifth picture: Use hatch and hammer or mallet to cut split section into width of runges.

Last pic: just a bridge im building

I will add more features pictures an instructions as i build more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

SS FR HT

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Note try not use heartwood. This wood tends to split weird and warped on some trees and comes out with undesirable results. heartwood is the wood that is more red. Just look at the arrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good