Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Frenzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    105

    NEW Bike Park in CA - Lake Cunningham Bike Park

    There is a new Bike Park being planned in the Bay Area...San Jose, CA to be specific. It will be located at Lake Cunninham Regional Park. This park is already home to the famous Lake Cunningham Skate Park...the largest skate Park in California! This regional park is going to be awesome with the addition of a 'Valmont style' bike park!

    Follow the project here:
    San Jose Action Sports : Lake Cunningham Regional Skate Park : San Jose : CaliforniaSJActionSports.com | Supporing Lake Cunningham Regional Skate Park

    There will be another community meeting this Wednesday night at 6:30 to go over the preliminary site designs. Come out and show your support!!!





    "It's not about the bike"

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Any updates on this park lately?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashWorship's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    107
    Update on this? Anyone? Is this going to happen? Anyone? Anyone?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34
    This project is still a GO I heard from Lars at Trail Head Cyclery. The City of San Jose is going to release 50% of the drawings sometime in October 2014. I will post the date of the public meeting once it's announced.
    Buy local...support your LBS

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    70
    The 50% plan is done and should be on public record soon. It currently has a Dual Slalom Course, Freeride Course, Dirt Jumps, and Pump Track. The next step is the 75% plan. I'll post here once I know more. I know I can talk the City Staff behind this project to hold a public meeting for everyone to put their input into this project. The 75% Plan leaves plenty of time to fine tune the design.

    Oh, and once the project gets close to a vote, I'll be asking everyone here from SJ to tell the City Council you want this project.

    -James
    Calmar Bicycles

    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.Bikes View Post
    This project is still a GO I heard from Lars at Trail Head Cyclery. The City of San Jose is going to release 50% of the drawings sometime in October 2014. I will post the date of the public meeting once it's announced.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jasone510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmar View Post
    The 50% plan is done and should be on public record soon. It currently has a Dual Slalom Course, Freeride Course, Dirt Jumps, and Pump Track. The next step is the 75% plan. I'll post here once I know more. I know I can talk the City Staff behind this project to hold a public meeting for everyone to put their input into this project. The 75% Plan leaves plenty of time to fine tune the design.

    Oh, and once the project gets close to a vote, I'll be asking everyone here from SJ to tell the City Council you want this project.

    -James
    Calmar Bicycles
    I live two blocks away! This would be amazing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.Bikes View Post
    This project is still a GO I heard from Lars at Trail Head Cyclery. The City of San Jose is going to release 50% of the drawings sometime in October 2014. I will post the date of the public meeting once it's announced.
    Curious if this still has "traction". I would love to support this project in my hometown and close to my backyard!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    70

    Built by December 2015.

    It's happening. I just met with the city and the designer and Lake Cunningham Bike Park is expected to open by the end of the year. At the moment, there will be dirt jumps, a pump track, and a skills loop around the skate park area. Depending on budget and bids, there may be a Dual Slalom course and a Slopestyle area. I can't share pics of the actual design, but here's the pie in the sky list.
    NEW Bike Park in CA - Lake Cunningham Bike Park-img_0879.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Sweet!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34
    The project is going to be presented to the City of San Jose's Parks & Recreation Commission on Wednesday, March 4th at 5:30pm at SJ City Hall Room W-118

    It would be great to see some support for the project at this meeting!!!

    Here's the memo that was issued to the Parks & Rec Commission: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/40351
    Buy local...support your LBS

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashWorship's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    107
    Wow, $1.3M - $2.9M? This project has had virtually no transparency.

    I'm a resident of San Jose and a fan but I can't for the life of me understand how this project could cost so much. I also wonder how many of the people involved live in San Jose.

    For comparison, the Scotts Valley Pump Track cost $18,000. I'd rather have a pump tracks in parks spread throughout the city than 1 gigantic (albeit awesome) park that's not at all close to where I live. For the cost of this one park, we could have 72 Scott's Valley style pump tracks, all over the city.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HypNoTic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashWorship View Post
    Wow, $1.3M - $2.9M? This project has had virtually no transparency.

    I'm a resident of San Jose and a fan but I can't for the life of me understand how this project could cost so much. I also wonder how many of the people involved live in San Jose.

    For comparison, the Scotts Valley Pump Track cost $18,000. I'd rather have a pump tracks in parks spread throughout the city than 1 gigantic (albeit awesome) park that's not at all close to where I live. For the cost of this one park, we could have 72 Scott's Valley style pump tracks, all over the city.
    Without seeing the specific, I'd say that 1.3 to 3M is not abnormal for such a project. Your pumptrack most likely didn't had the following elements:
    - environmental assessment
    - stormwater management
    - permiting (since you're affecting over 1acre of land)
    - material (dirt is fraking expensive)
    - engineered TTF
    - overall landscaping
    - parking lot
    - full signage all over the place + trailhead kiosk
    - drainage system
    - irrigation system
    - etc

    Just for fun, how much do you think a synthetic surface football field cost? Athletic race track? Asphalted bike path?
    A trailbuilder from the north

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashWorship's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    107
    Clearly you're the expert. Let's just defer to you. I'm sure you have all the answers.

    Maybe you should read what's there? The cost does not include the full extent of the plan.

    I've lived in San Jose for 15 years. While the park is a cool idea, in my neighborhood we've had 90 break-ins in the last 60 days. Playground equipment has been broken for over 2 years and the city only puts new caution tape on the stuff. You have to wonder why we're spending this kind of money when Parks and Rec cannot maintain the facilities they have today.

    Honestly, I'd rather see several smaller bike parks that are more neighborhood accessible than a single gigantic one.

    The general attitude of city staffers aligns with this:
    "Todd Capurso, San Jose's landscape maintenance manager, "We have to put the needs of the neighborhood first. The park needs to be built for the area of town that it serves, not for the bikers who are coming in from 30 and 40 miles away."

    Here's how the cost stacks up.

    Regarding the Scott's Valley pump track, according to Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz the track cost $18,000 to build including 400 yards of clean dirt.

    Scotts Valley Pump Track Grand Opening set for Saturday, October 4 | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC)


    Regarding Calabasas dirt jump park, in San Jose
    The park ended up costing $833,333. The cost was mostly due to hiring of expensive contractors to certify the jump designs due to a spinal injury at the site in 2004. The rider's family sued the city and the lawsuit was recently settled for $1.1M.
    See:
    leelikesbikes.com - Are your dirt jumps safety certified?

    Compare that to other cities bike parks:

    Pleasanton Bike Park
    History: The City of Pleasanton also had bicyclists building jumps in the parks and decided to build a park for the riders. The land containing the bike park is leased by the city from the East Bay Regional Park District for $1 per year. This is a 3 year lease with the condition that all rain water must stay on the property.
    Size: The park is over 3.5 acres with 2 acres of riding space. Funding: General Fund
    Construction Cost: $150,000 (includes design and permitting) Construction Date: 2006

    Woodward Bike Park Park, Fresno CA
    Size: 10 acres
    Funding Source: Bond and General Fund
    Construction Cost: $ 300,000 for Phase I
    Construction Date: 2010
    Designer: Hilride Progressive Development Group and City Staff Builder: City Staff and Volunteers

    Elk Grove Bike Park, Elk Grove, CA
    Size: 2.4 Acres
    Funding Source: Assessment Fees
    Construction Cost: $462,000
    Construction Date: 10/15/2011

    Layette Bike Park Cost Estimates:
    DATE ESTIMATE COST COMPONENTS REASONS FOR CHANGE
    12/08/08 $105,000 Design/Environmental: $13,000 Construction: $92,000
    03/22/10 $250,000 Design/Environmental: $70,000 Endangered Species Report was Construction: $180,000 discovered during Habitat study
    resulting in mitigation measures.
    07/25/11 $322,226 Design/Environmental: $108,000 Additional Environmental Studies Construction: $214,226 needed per environ. agencies.
    04/08/13 $342,000 Design/Environmental: $126,986 Hillside Development Permit Construction: $215,014 and inflation.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jasone510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    213
    I'm all for it. I'd rather have an awesome bike park that I'd have to drive to than a mediocre pump track that won't bring any revenue in for the city. A large bike park is something I'd be willing to pay for. I'm assuming there will be fees just like the skate park...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jasone510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    213
    Just got home from the presentation to the Parks and Recreation Commission. Having never attended any meeting of the sort it was a good experience getting a glimpse of how the city works.

    There was only one other supporter, Justin from Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers and MBoSC. He spoke in support of the project and the commissioners received his input favorably. The project seems to have a lot of support from the Parks and Recreation Committee. A handful of commissioners are cyclists themselves. Seems promising to me, I hope this comes to fruitition.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasone510 View Post
    Just got home from the presentation to the Parks and Recreation Commission. Having never attended any meeting of the sort it was a good experience getting a glimpse of how the city works.

    There was only one other supporter, Justin from Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers and MBoSC. He spoke in support of the project and the commissioners received his input favorably.

    Thanks for attending Jasone510!!! That was me who spoke last night. I was stoked to see the plan pass unanimously 8-0!

    The next step for this project is to go to City Council in April and get them to approve funding for the project. We will need ALOT of community support for this meeting. I will post details about the April meeting when it becomes available.
    Buy local...support your LBS

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34
    There was an awesome map that was shared as part of the Park's department presentation last night that I will try to get posted to public forums (MTBr, Pinkbike, Facebook, Twitter, etc).

    Stay tuned for some serious STOKE!!!
    Buy local...support your LBS

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jasone510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.Bikes View Post
    Thanks for attending Jasone510!!! That was me who spoke last night. I was stoked to see the plan pass unanimously 8-0!

    The next step for this project is to go to City Council in April and get them to approve funding for the project. We will need ALOT of community support for this meeting. I will post details about the April meeting when it becomes available.
    I will be there in April, keep me posted and I will gather the troops to show support. I wanted to introduce myself and chat after the meeting, but I was starving by the time the bike park presentation ended.

    On a side note, regarding MBoSC, do you need to be a resident of Santa Cruz to join? I live in San Jose, but most of my riding is done in the Santa Cruz area and I would love to be more involved with the mountain bike community and also volunteer. If you are going to be at the Demo Flow Trail work day on 3/14 I will see you there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •