mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Idea! Need help! Ramp advice PLEASE

Iam planning on building a kinda ramp to spice up my trail and i would like to know if it would be good.THANKS
    Name:  CCF10122013_00000.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  120.1 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help! Ramp advice PLEASE-ccf10122013_00000.jpg  

I build my own.
    With the cantilevered section, you'll need to sink your posts a lot deeper in the ground. It looks like they're only about half a metre deep. You may need some kind of anchor as well. Something like a steel bar drilled through the bottoms of the posts. Any wood in the ground will rot fast so use red cedar or some similar rot resistant wood OR pressure treated post like they use to build decks. Make your posts at least 4" X 4". Aside from that, it looks like a pretty good design.

Some people might tell you not to use logs for your take off and landing ramps but as long as you know they will rot and gradually get smaller and you're prepared to add dirt when needed, it shouldn't be a problem.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is there a reason there needs to be a cantilever/overhanging section to begin with? Posts supporting the left side seem like the best solution if there isn't a specific reason why an overhang is needed. The failure of a cantilever is going to be much more likely than typical post construction because the members will be experiencing more stress and the fasteners will see more loading. Bolts/lag screw fasteners will probably be necessary if you choose to use the overhanging platform.

Need help! Ramp advice PLEASE-ccf10122013_00000_update.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioLekic View Post
    Iam planning on building a kinda ramp to spice up my trail and i would like to know if it would be good.THANKS
    I think 9.8 feet (300cm) is too short across the platform. That's barely two bike lengths. 5 meters minimum, would be better.

Here's an example from bmx. This guy's grind box is probably about 8 feet long (in USA, a typical sheet of plywood is 4 X 8' or typical 2' X 6' is 8 feet). If you notice, as soon as he hops onto it, he has to immediately hop off again. If you'd rather have this on the trail where you can go a little faster and get to ride across it for a few moments before hopping off again, then it has to be longer.
    grind box fun - YouTube

Here's a ledge I was riding on street. Not sure how long it is, but you can kinda tell how long I'm riding across it before dropping off again, and that's just a normal/slow-ish speed, not going fast on a trail...
    manual, UT austin Video - Pinkbike

This is taller than what you're planning, but the principle still applies. The length of the platform should be calibrated to how fast you're going.

I took these pics in Whistler in 2011. This was the railroad box car step-on-step-off on Freight Train. The top of that car, I would guess is around 30 feet? :

If you want to see it in action, it's in the middle of this edit:
    Duthie Hill, WA, and Whistler Bike Park, BC, edit - cmc on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks guys for your advice i will definetly use it.I would like the platform to be as long as possible but i dont have a lot of bought wood.Do you guys have any idea how to make the platform out of natural recources?

mtbr member
    . . . Do you guys have any idea how to make the platform out of natural recources?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Personally I take the dirt out of a barrow pit and throw the logs in to fill the barrow pit back up. I'm an all dirt kind of guy. I makes it way easier to reshape or chance up later. Don't have to pick soggy logs out and loose all your dirt.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you have access to logs of suitable material and diameter they could be substituted for the stringers and cross bracing, but unless you want to rebuild the platform in a few years I would stick with rot resistant materials where ground contact is necessary. There are a few naturally occurring rot resistant woods, but they may not be available in your location. Cedar, black locust, osage orange, and white oak are a few of the most common.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think i will buy some 4x4 posts and a few 2x6 stringers and build all the other out of natural wood because i think that natural wood would accualy last longer how could i protect the wood?thx

mtbr member
    I think you're looking at it backwards. We use cedar (natural rot resistant wood) for posts, frame, etc. and only buy treated lumber for the decking of a structure. Think like this.

Need help! Ramp advice PLEASE-2012-09-02-17.46.07-hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    I think i will buy some 4x4 posts and a few 2x6 stringers and build all the other out of natural wood because i think that natural wood would accualy last longer how could i protect the wood?thx
    Here's an article that details making a platform out of cedar: NSMBA - Boogie's New Bridge.

Stuff like pine will not split as nicely, and will not last as long, but it can still be used. Most people around here use an Alaskan mill to cut their decking, rather than splitting.
    We have a ton of deadfall pine from MPB outbreaks, and it can last a surprisingly long time in the ground if you use large diameter logs, strip the bark, and use dirt that drains well.
    Edit: How long it lasts will depend on your local climate of course.

I would suggest boxing the takeoff and landing to prevent dirt being lost off the sides, this can keep the maintenance down, especially if you have soil that doesn't pack well (i.e. sandy).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks looks like a cool trail.Going to get the wood this weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    . . .

I would suggest boxing the takeoff and landing to prevent dirt being lost off the sides, this can keep the maintenance down, especially if you have soil that doesn't pack well (i.e. sandy).
    Yeah, I could see how that could be an issue with dirt that doesn't pack well.

But I get the impression that a lot of guys do it for the stylistic look as well--the North Shore / Ewok Village look.

In the DJ/bmx scene, (rather than the freeride scene), the style is not to use logs at all and just pack dirt well, with wide landings with pyramid sides.

I can appreciate either style.

Trail:Black Rock/TTF Notes - June 2007 - Evergreen Trail Guide

From Evergreenmtb.org:

Slanted sides on the landings at my spot.... :

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I like the wone with the beer hahaha.Really nice ramps.