mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My first berm (need some pointers)

- Hey guys

I finished making my first berm and then I wanted to make another berm right behind so I did. Its like an inside berm and an oustide berm. I have a feeling the walls might be too small. Does anyone know what I could do to make it better? all suggestions are needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slidecontrol
    If your emo can I genetically engineer you into my lawn so it will cut itself too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    iam so drunk right now1!!!!

NOT Team Sanchez
    They look fine to me? Where I live we've got more rock than dirt so I use the rock as a "skeleton," and then just put dirt on the side I'm going to ride on, works well and wears even better! If you want to go taller you might consider doing the same but with wood, just stake it into place, that's what the fellas on the north shore do. BTW your work's looking good.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Looks good! You have a good eye for the line....now you can start linking them down that hill of yours and..... !! Have fun and keep up the good work.

Remember to leave some room for your pedals as you lean it over and you'll get the most force in your turn in the second half of it.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks.
    If your emo can I genetically engineer you into my lawn so it will cut itself too?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i think they look fine, if you ride them and they don't feel right change the pitch not the height of the wall to get them dialed. The major problem you're going to have is with your drainage when it rains. Putting two berms together like that, you should really try to keep them elevated so you can have the inner one drain to the inside and the outer one drain to the outside with an outslope at the bottom. It's hard to tell how the slope is on that from the pictures, but you'll find that pre-planning will save you some headaches with drainage.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Good hints...you can also dig a pit to the inside for immediate drainage and trench it down hill depending on how you soil percolate rainwater. It looks like you some slope so drainage could be easily managed if you run the exits diagonally from the hillside to allow water to escape instead of follow your lines. You want water to always go across the trail or down it for short distances and exit off or sheet across the trail. You do not want water to get momentum down a trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    i think they look fine, if you ride them and they don't feel right change the pitch not the height of the wall to get them dialed. The major problem you're going to have is with your drainage when it rains. Putting two berms together like that, you should really try to keep them elevated so you can have the inner one drain to the inside and the outer one drain to the outside with an outslope at the bottom. It's hard to tell how the slope is on that from the pictures, but you'll find that pre-planning will save you some headaches with drainage.

I may sound like a total noob, but what do you mean by the pitch? Anyways, it supposed to rain overnight and possibly all day tomorrow so ill update you with photos of how the water drainage looks like

mtbr member
    He means the angle of the face of the berm. The faster you want to go the more vertical it needs to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonboarder18
    I may sound like a total noob, but what do you mean by the pitch? Anyways, it supposed to rain overnight and possibly all day tomorrow so ill update you with photos of how the water drainage looks like
    Sorry i'm a roofer by trade so most of my lingo comes from that. mtb777 nailed what i was trying to say, big berms are nice, but they're alot of work. The size of your berms is nice and you can make a berm work better for any speed you want by adjusting the steepness of your pitch.

As far as drainage, you'll be lucky if those berms don't act like big ole dams catching all the water and making big puddles. Again if you do alot of pre-work you can avoid the puddles by doing what i said. But if you are forced to put them in a bad drainage spot, or they just are, you can get some pvc pipe, and make yourself a "culvert" or "drain" in the low spot. Just go to the hardware store, buy some 5" or whatever size you want. Cut the end to conform or match the pitch of the berm, and cut the length so it sticks out the other end of the berm. Shovel out a segment of your berm where you can lay the pipe with a little downhill slope so it drains, you might want to cut a drain field below the drain pipe. In some cases you might want to dump a bunch of rocks where the water drains out, so the water doesn't make a rut. After you get the pipe in you replace the dirt.

You can get more creative and use lumber, rocks to make a drain. For big berms you can do what's called a french drain. But the idea is to keep your track or trail from being a swimming pool.

Doing it the right way might be more work and takes alot more careful planning and thought but the benefit is not having to worry about maintenance on drains. If it really pours drains can clog and big problems can develop.... Never underestimate the power of water.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unless you're gonna build a dual course the whole way, I'd dig up one of them (which ever one drains the worst) and pile that xtra dirt to make the other one taller.