mtbr member
    Oct 2013

MTB Trail Building HELP!!!

hi i really want to build my own mtb trail. i want it to be more like a shorter trail but with jumps and stuff. Something that i can just do over and over again and add on over time. I have attempted twice but have hit some road blocks. First i can never seem to get my jumps or trail to get smooth and not be filled with pot holes. This not only looks ugly but makes riding no fun. I have seen other peoples trails and they look so good because they are smooth. Secondly i always seem to get areas where water builds up. I have tried to make sure water has a place to escape but doesn't seem to ever work. Can you guys just give me some tips on how to build a fun trail like this. I am dying to have my own!

I build my own.
    Yes, tons of tips. Can you post pictures of where you want to build AND some pictures of some of your builds that didn't work out? That would make things easier for us to help you.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Track down a copy of either Trail Solutions from IMBA or a book called Natural Surface Trails By Design. And practice. Somewhere near you is a mountain bike trail that already exists. Associated with that trail is likely a group of volunteers who know everything you need to know, and will happily teach you if you show up to help them work on that trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Yes, tons of tips. Can you post pictures of where you want to build AND some pictures of some of your builds that didn't work out? That would make things easier for us to help you.
    Here is the build area I found (sorry pics are kinda crapy)
    MTB Trail Building HELP!!!-image.jpgMTB Trail Building HELP!!!-image.jpgMTB Trail Building HELP!!!-image.jpg
    Here is an old attempt that failed because it was so uneven and water was every were
    MTB Trail Building HELP!!!-image.jpgMTB Trail Building HELP!!!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    The first picture show a wet area at the bottom of a small hill. If you're building at the bottom, expect water to cause problems. The rest of the pictures show pretty flat ground. If you can, try to bench your trail on the hillside instead of flat ground, creating grade reversals to evacuate water and create flow.

Get the IMBA Trails Solutions book to learn more about proper techniques.
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HypNoTic View Post
    The first picture show a wet area at the bottom of a small hill. If you're building at the bottom, expect water to cause problems. The rest of the pictures show pretty flat ground. If you can, try to bench your trail on the hillside instead of flat ground, creating grade reversals to evacuate water and create flow.

Get the IMBA Trails Solutions book to learn more about proper techniques.
    what do you mean by grade reversals and bench my trail on the hillside??

I build my own.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I build my own.
    Probably more information than you're looking for right now, but well worth reading.

Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook - 07232806 - Fs Publications - Publications - Recreational Trails - Environment - FHWA

The White Jeff W
    Also, you say you 'found ' this area. to build. Is it on your family's land? Do you have permission to build there?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    IMBA - USFS - Building Mountain Bike Trails - 1 of 9 - YouTube

Part 1/9. Just follow with the rest of the serie
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Watch the whole video here: Building Mountain Bike Trails | How To Build Video - YouTube

Then take the time to read one of these: https://www.imba.com/resources

That will give you a good knowledge base to build on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AtripleJR View Post
    First i can never seem to get my jumps or trail to get smooth and not be filled with pot holes. This not only looks ugly but makes riding no fun. I have seen other peoples trails and they look so good because they are smooth.
    I picked up a Mcleod tool http://www.amazon.com/Nupla-FHR-48-M...ds=mcleod+tool Its a little pricey, but worth every penny I can cut trail like a boss with it and I've found it to be virtually bomb proof, even in this rocky/rooty Pennsylvania soil. The Mcleod works good for smoothing it out too. sometimes the right tools make all difference. Also, after you figure out how to cut and layout the trail, don't be afraid to throw more dirt on and tamp down to build the trail surface how you want it.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST