My other ride is your mom

Moto in Hawes , AZ?

I was out riding Hawes in NE Mesa yesterday (Tuesday, July 8th) at about 4pm.....I know what you're thinkin', I lost about 7 lbs due to the heat...but it was closer to 8lbs....but I ran into 2 guys on motorbikes who had just thrashed a downhill trail (baby heads dislodged and strewn about, fresh braking pits, etc). I told them I was certain that this was a non-motorized trail after having remembered seeing that posted on one of the trail signs off of the parking area on the east side of Power/Bush Highway.

For starters, was I in error? Are moto's allowed at Hawes? Secondly...even if they were....they were wrecking the trail and it pisses me off. Other than me telling them that this was a non-motorized trail, I resisted the urge to say anything else (that took a lot, believe me) and just kept riding. I've searched on-line and have been unable to find any definitive answers other than some post from 2004 regarding Hawes and moto's....any thoughts or knowledge? Anyone else run into these or other yahoo's out at Hawes?

-MaadJurguer

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Welcome your first post:

Relax it's just dirt, no blood spilled and you don't wanna go that route anyway!

To many things could happen to you first off! Telling anyone to get out is not a good idea as you know none of us wanna hear that! I doubt they would listen! Your best bet is first to make sure your in the right by doing more info searching possibly with the owner or caretaker of the land. Offer help to them if you like by being watchful eyes on the trail This way your concerns could turn out to be posting of signs or other means to solve the problem rather than putting yourself in a position where you look like a bad guy. Remember if you ride there you might have to get along with all who do. You could look at the trail rearrangement as a new challenge rather than "HEY they messed up the trail" Remember guys who ride moto aren't coming out to personally mess your trail it's just that motos turn stuff over and to them they don't see the same trail as you do! Understanding their fun might help you a little. I moto and have met the same kind on our trails. If I get the opportunity to strike up a conversation I usually talk about their ride first by saying "Nice bike how long have you had it" They usually respond with a comment about Mt Bike guys being nuts! Like I said most motos have respect for mt bikers, but they show it differently. You would be surprised how far a wave "HI" or a bit of conversation will go! Lot's of motos have mt bike also!

mtbr member
    May 2008

moto

Hey
    I would check to see if there is moto allowed first. If there is not much you can do . But if it isnt, You should call whoever is in charge of the trail system and let them know motos are on it and are trashing the trail. The desert is fragile and we need to take care of the trails.
    j

My other ride is your mom
    I'm going to ride out that way again this evening and check the sign for sure...was not implying that I was going to fly off the handle...either way...last thing I want is to ruin access for everyone. As for moto's sharing trails...I have no problem sharing. But if these guys truly used Mt. Bikes as well as moto's....I'm certain they would have been more sensitive of the trail system we have here in the AZ desert.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm going to ride out that way again this evening and check the sign for sure...was not implying that I was going to fly off the handle...either way...last thing I want is to ruin access for everyone. As for moto's sharing trails...I have no problem sharing. But if these guys truly used Mt. Bikes as well as moto's....I'm certain they would have been more sensitive of the trail system we have here in the AZ desert.
    Sounds great!

I didn't consider you are in a sensitive desert area. Thanks for the info and good luck!

Ride on!

dirt visionary
    That area is off limits to all motorized travel and I would have made a call to report the incident. There are plenty of legal places that are very close for them to ride .As a fellow OHV user I know.

Also it would be good to check out the local arizona forum here on MTBR there are alot of us that ride there frequent and would not put up with this .

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/