mtbr member
    May 2004

Measure the grade?

What are those things called that measure the trail slope called? Is the phone app version any good?
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Actually its a clinometer but they are the same thing. The apps seem to be fairly accurate. I use the Peter Breitling version, but there are also free apps out there. Just remember to have someone about the same height as you or object at the top of the sloop.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks, for some reason I just couldn't remember the term.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

cowbell
    It helps to have a known level surface to calibrate your smartphone app to before you try to use it. Sometimes just a little bit off can make a big difference.

trail rat
    Get a Suunto clinometer.
    Amazon.com: SuuntoŽ Clinometer Percent & Topo: Sports & Outdoors

We use 5 foot pvc poles with end caps, paint the top one orange for visibility.

Sometimes the bush gets thick. That is dense poison oak! You can pick out the orange top cap.

Using a rope of a known length 25' or 50' is good for fine flagging grade reversals.

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I really like the pvc poles. Great idea. We use light colored hats but not everyone is the same size. Having two poles at the same height are much more accurate. Not to mention...if you can use a piece of rebar to anchor the second pole, you can work by yourself if needed.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've got a piece of white tape on my rake handle right at eye level. Lean the rake against a tree/sapling and sight from there. Works really great with the Suunto for rough raking lines alone.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Be sure to use the correct side of the clinometer, one side is percent grade the other is degrees. You want to use percent grade. The percent grade side will add up quicker than the other side, it is also marked with a % sign if you look at the last number. I also marked mine on the side to use so if anyone wants to help they will not have to be reminded which side to use.

PVC poles are cheap, a stick in the woods with a ribbon tied at the correct height is free and you don't have to transport it back and forth from car to work site.

If I ever have to flag by myself I will tie a ribbon to the nearest tree at the same height each time which is determined by using my stick. Then I can go to the next spot and take a reading back to my last flag. This way I don't have to go back and get the stick each time. It is not perfect but it will be fairly close and if you stay below you max grade you will not have to worry about mistakes.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by peteuga View Post
    Be sure to use the correct side of the clinometer, one side is percent grade the other is degrees. You want to use percent grade. The percent grade side will add up quicker than the other side, it is also marked with a % sign if you look at the last number. I also marked mine on the side to use so if anyone wants to help they will not have to be reminded which side to use.

PVC poles are cheap, a stick in the woods with a ribbon tied at the correct height is free and you don't have to transport it back and forth from car to work site.

If I ever have to flag by myself I will tie a ribbon to the nearest tree at the same height each time which is determined by using my stick. Then I can go to the next spot and take a reading back to my last flag. This way I don't have to go back and get the stick each time. It is not perfect but it will be fairly close and if you stay below you max grade you will not have to worry about mistakes.
    Sticks in the woods, uh huh. Not all of us have woods with sticks. Chaparral does not produce sticks longer than about 2 feet, and those are really crooked.

Attachment 766806

Attachment 766808
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have one you can use, is this for the work party in a few weeks?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone using a clino app? I was thinking of downloading one on my phone. Just wondering how well they work, and if there is a preferred app?

trail rat
    The margin of error would be so great that we could never use one with the land managers where we work. Are you building real trail? Look at this link and tell me how you will site through the cross hairs of a phone app to get precise readings? I just don't think it is possible, and should not be used for serious trail survey and layout.
    http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...clinometer.pdf
    CCCMB web - Facebook

cowbell
    I've used a clino app on my phone doing walk throughs to demonstrate that a grade is "way out", but I would never use a clino app for laying out trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ya, I wasn't sure how accurate they would be. That's why I've held off on buying the app. Sounds like it's probably not worth it.