Thread: Map Graphics

mtbr member
    May 2004

Map Graphics

This is a 'map' I created for the county showing existing and proposed trails for a new open space project outside Aspen. I am a professional planner, designer, and illustrator and would like to begin offering this kind of service to the larger populous.

You can see more of our work at terrainstudioaspen.com

Best,

Nick

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    That is an awesome map! Wish they all could be that nice.

it looks really nice but it's not a very good format for navigating. the perspective makes it difficult to pin your location and the huge amount of color and detail makes it difficult to print and use as flyers.

it would make an awesome trailhead kiosk map, though, if you could use UV resistant inks.

I think it will be difficult to convince clubs to pay for your services frequently. and a lot of local land managers are not terribly interested in high quality kiosks at trailheads. they get a basic one up with the critical information, don't put much attention to the design, and generally forget about it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the response Natehawk. This particular map and another we created were specifically for county oopen space manager, local mountain bike association, and outdoor volunteer organizations. They have each used it fairly extensively to promote new trail building projects in Snowmass as a means to getting more volunteers. It wasnt necessarily intended for navigational use, but would make a great kiosk map in my opinion--see ski resort maps--they are in perspective, birds eye views and most people use them with great success because perspective is almost instantly understandable by virtually anyone. We also offer GIS services, but frankly most people cannot read a standard GIS map.

I think maps like this WOULD serve as good navigational tools perhaps with some additional data, again see ski resort maps, especially for areas with consolidated trail networks similar to IMBA's 'ride center' philosophy. I'm not sure about your comment on color and detail. These are printed on 11x17 currently and have received great support.

I respect your opinions and thanks for sharing them.

Map Graphics

My comment about colors and detail was in reference to the expense of printing it.

Perspective maps are fine for quick reference but cannot be used to pinpoint locations like a top down view because they do not represent distances equally across the whole map.

Straight down view with an equal distance projection like UTM is ideal for that purpose. And frankly a lot of people can read that kind of map just fine. As a map creator you just have to be choosy about what detail you include. People will have trouble with a cluttered map.