mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Little kid friendly trail

Does anyone have any examples of a kid friendly trail? We have a flat area that will be near some new trail head parking that the county will be building. We currently don't have any good trails that parents can bring their kids to ride and learn some basic skills.Our thought was a loop trail thru the trees with some small fun rollers. Not interested in a pump track at this point.

I build my own.
    How little? I built a 20 mile trail system for our local middle school. The kids who ride it are aged 7 to... well, about 80. In my 15 years experience with the school bike club, it takes about 5 rides before the kids are beyond "kiddie" trails. Most of the trails would be considered intermediate. I have hundreds of photos (mostly of the kids taking breaks) and a couple of videos. You want to see some? I can look through and see if I can find any that show how the trails are constructed.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We will probably do a one mile loop at the most. Focusing on kids old enuf to ride and up. We have tons of trails around but nothing ideal for kiddies. If you have some photos or video that would be great.

mtbr member
    but still a little more mountain-bike-ish than a crushed granite sidewalk?

Town Lake Hike & Bike path, Austin TX

saddlemeat
    I have observed over the years that the first 2-3 miles from the typical mtb trailhead are heavily used by walkers, which widens it considerably, and makes the perfect beginner biker section. We now design the first few miles of a system to be slightly less intense and wider than the rest of the system and so accommodate walkers and beginning bikers without dumbing down the whole system.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

I build my own.
    Not my video but these are my trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little kid friendly trail-p1010008-2-.jpg  

Little kid friendly trail-p1010007-3-.jpg  

Little kid friendly trail-p1010014-2-.jpg  

Little kid friendly trail-p1010017.jpg  

Little kid friendly trail-p1010019-4-.jpg  

I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I build my own.
    My Video. The kids riding "Deadwood".

I build my own.
    Another one of mine. The kids trying (or not trying) a log ride.

Unpredictable
    Sorry for a repost, but I think kids get off on this sort of thing - even older kids (or just plain over the hill old). For little kids it all hubs around a little knoll and the pump track is the final destination, because it is at the bottom.

Skills Park Build: Best approach?

I realise you said flat and trail, but to little kids a "trail" is not how we see a trail. I remember skiing this huge hill when I was a little kid. When I went back at age 11 it was barely above my head, just an embankment near a road!

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Don't make it too easy. A flat trail that winds around will be get old fast, and you won't see any kids on it. Kids will surprise you with how adept they are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the input. We already have close to 30 miles of single track available. We just don't have a good spot for parents to get their kids feet (or wheels) wet on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Are you thinking about something like the pic below but maybe built in a big loop?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tM_VDyYY89...mp%2BTrack.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I envision something similar to this but we have room to make it bigger. I can also see adding some skill features that were in Trail Ninja's video.