mtbr member
    Aug 2012

A little backyard fun

So I have a little cleared out space in my backyard and a buddy and I decided to build "skill building" features to help when we go up to our main trails in Williamsburg Va. Keep in mind I live on the coast of Va and it is beyond flat here. The entire goal for our build is/was to help build confidence on drops/bridges etc. I have been riding for a while and LOVE any drop to a nice landing that is fast lol, my friend however just began riding, and this has already built his confidence and technique 10 fold. Now I know there isn't a flow to our setup but again each feature is meant to hit alone and practice on. Enough with the small talk, ill post a couple of pictures. Please if you guys have any ideas or suggestions were looking to add a few things and I would love to hear them. Thanks for looking.

The first thing we built, a knee high tree bridge with a ladder down and drop option:

Then we built a little ramp to bridge to about a 2ft drop. It is shown in the middle here. We also built the big ramp up to platform. In this picture the landing isn't built yet.

And the finished drop:

I build my own.
    Now that's nice. I like the ramp or drop option on the log ride.

A couple of suggestions? Cross bracing on the legs of the big ramp. Check your decking often. It's thinner than most people use so it's not likely to last as long.

All in all you've got some nice structure to practice on. Well done.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

cowbell
    That decking on the large ramp isn't just thinner than most people use, it's shipping pallets.

I'm trying to control myself - this is a pet peeve of mine. I've told members of the club that if I catch anyone using pallets for trail structures they will be forced to remove the pallets by way of eating them. Pallets are dangerous. Do not use pallets for trail/riding structures.

I like what you're doing, but do yourself a favor, and remove the pallets immediately and put some 2x6 up there instead. Otherwise - and this is a promise, not some wild premonition - those pallets will break and someone will get hurt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The decking is 3/4" Treated Plywood. Tthicker than that? Maybe double it? Also I know the stigma that goes with pallets, however these are reinforced with 2x4's all around and under, you cant really see that in the pictures but they are. And as far as the cross bracing goes, I thought the same, until I went to push against, stand on top and try to sway or move the structure. The fact that all of those 4x4s are concreted 2ft in the ground and not that far apart makes that thing solid as a rock.