Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

King Range Ride Report

I Headed up to the King Range from Fort Bragg to ride the new "Paradise King Trail" (my name suggestion) last weekend hoping for spring traction and mild weather.
    Checked out the loop Saturday to clear any small down trees and get familiar with the entire loop, I had been on parts but not the entire trail.
    I cannot believe how nicely this trail flows! D and Joey my hat is off to you, Well Done! The jumps and banked corners are challenging but predictable with an easier option always visible, a complete joy to ride.
    Sunday morning was windy and cold so I drove to Saddle Mt. for great views of the Pacific Ocean, the Mattole Valley, King Peak, and Paradise Ridge. Back at camp as I was getting ready to ride the loop again when two guys rode up wondering where the bike trail was. Paul and Howard came from Norway, got a RV in Vancouver, are now on their way to Colorado, back to Whistler, then home, sending photos to a bike mag back home as they go. I offered to show them the trail and they had a great time, although they where riding big hit bikes and had trouble climbing Paradise Ridge. When the trail headed down they stayed right on my tail and enjoyed the Queen Mine Road section allot. This time around I was hitting the high point on all the ramps but skipped the bigger of the drops and the second log ride, but got some photos of the Norwegians doing them. Maybe they will post something on their blog at http://www.thelastfrontierever.blogspot.com
    With some more work this summer the trail should be complete this year. Next spring after the trail is officially open I am sure the campground will not be empty as it was this weekend.
    This trail has a very good lay out, in a beautiful area, and I can't wait to get my ride buddies out there!
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Nice! Thanks for the write up! It always good to hear ride reports...positive and negative. It's very difficult to be objective building a trail; I want think it's going to ROCK!

I hope to make it back there in the next couple of years to ride the finished product as well as some other stuff in the No CA area.

D