Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: kids trails

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    56

    kids trails

    Our club is researching the idea of building a kids trail in our local city park. We need some ideas about designs, materials, etc. Does anyone know of any successful kids trails that we could look at as an example? This would mainly be for elementary school age kids..maybe also a small Strider type loop. Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    63
    Contact Woody Keen with Trails Dynamics. We worked together on a trail system for a summer camp that turned out great! The goal was to design a beginner trail that was also fun and they hit a home run. The kids at the summer camp loved the trail and mt biking became one of their favorite activity.

  3. #3
    featherweight clydesdale
    Reputation: Fattirewilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by roguehoe View Post
    Our club is researching the idea of building a kids trail in our local city park. We need some ideas about designs, materials, etc. Does anyone know of any successful kids trails that we could look at as an example? This would mainly be for elementary school age kids..maybe also a small Strider type loop. Thanks.
    Don't build it flat, keep it undulating and flowy but keep the avg. grades to 4-5% max, put a 3 or 4 foot tread on it.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    56
    Thanks for the info.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HypNoTic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    Don't build it flat, keep it undulating and flowy but keep the avg. grades to 4-5% max, put a 3 or 4 foot tread on it.
    Agreed.

    One our most successful trail is a 1.1km family trail at 2% avg. Thread is 24-36" wide with rocks and basic TTF all over the place. Kids loop it until they fall asleep at the wheel
    A trailbuilder from the north

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by HypNoTic View Post
    Agreed.

    One our most successful trail is a 1.1km family trail at 2% avg. Thread is 24-36" wide with rocks and basic TTF all over the place. Kids loop it until they fall asleep at the wheel
    Where is it?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HypNoTic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Where is it?
    Mount Rigaud, QC

    Mont Rigaud | Facebook

    Projet «Vélo de montagne» | Facebook
    A trailbuilder from the north

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7
    We've found in Richmond that kids love pump tracks. So if you could incorporate 2' tall rollers into the trail, they'll love it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    315
    Really Long Pump Track would be my suggestion as well. Keep in mind little wheels will be riding it and little legs will be pedalling it. Take full advantage of the downhills and make any climbing easy as possible.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    We've found in Richmond that kids love pump tracks. And keep in mind little wheels will be riding it and little legs will be pedalling it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,941
    Our pump track is very popular with all ages regardless of ability to actually pump. This includes very small kids on scoot type bikes.

    We're finishing up our first summer with a youth MTB program and I see TTF is very popular even if little bits of wood inches high. 6 - 10 year old kids are also making it up a new trail on green rated down hill ski run with the climbing lets not exceeding 5%.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    309
    +1 o all the pump track suggestions, esp. for the strider bikes. Boot Camp at Duthie Hill Park in Issaquah, WA has been a very successful trail for pedaling beginners of all ages, but even intermediate and advanced riders have fun there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •