Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

IMBA's Data Collection - Open?

Lets say that I wanted to map out the distribution of IMBA Chapter Members in my region to determine how many are close to a given riding area.

I hope that IMBA already does this, but if they do not, would IMBA provide at the very least street name, city name, zip code.

What worries me is that IMBA could monopolize large amount of data that even the membership does not have access to. I'm an IMBA Chapter member, and I doubt they'd provide me with this information. Why? This would impact the role of Trail Solutions.

Furthermore, what if a local bike shop wanted this information, or the local chapter club? With IMBA's centralized membership sign up, even local clubs may lack the data behind their membership. Local clubs could use this information to provide market data to their local shop sponsors, or to members who are interested in starting new business.

As a member of the national organization, I would hope that my membership fees to some extent give me access to information I am contributing to.

It is well recorded that many non-profits do this. They gather large amounts of information about membership, and in some cases, sell that information back to the membership.

Just curious about how IMBA handles it's data and who does and does not have access to it.

mtbr member
    Have you tried contacting them about it instead of asking on a forum?

Contact Mark Eller @ IMBA.
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Data

I think if you contact them as suggested you will be surprised in a good way. Curious, how do you think this data could impact Trail Solutions? TS has nothing to do with membership. If you were asking for details of how TS put out a proposal for trail projects, then I would not expect to get something back. Like I said curious on your thoughts...
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Let me rephrase the question:

Has anyone every received location data of IMBA Chapter Members when doing research on a possible trail project?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just exported the zip codes of HMBA-IMBA membership and plotted them in a map using i Map builder online.

Contact your IMBA regional director about the CiviCRM options that are available to IMBA Chapter leaders.
    Last edited by indytrekracer; 01-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    That's pretty rad.

Can they give you street information as well?

It's about showing up.
    Why does the info need to be that specific?
    I don't rattle.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Because it can tell you if people are 10 minutes or 1 minute from a potential new riding spot.

Some zip codes are huge.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hope they don't give residential addresses to anyone. Seems like a great way to database bikes that can be stolen.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Delirious Tuck
    or sold for a tidy profit to spammers...

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    I hope they don't give residential addresses to anyone. Seems like a great way to database bikes that can be stolen.
    You give bike thieves too much credit. Most can't plan further ahead than their next drug fix.

If they had a computer and the skills to manipulate data, databases, and mapping software to plan their thievery, they'd be into white colar crime instead. That's where the real money is. Just ask any Wall Street CEO.
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 01-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.