featherweight clydesdale

IMBA clubs hosting races as revenue source

Anyone's IMBA club hosting a race(s) to raise funds for the club? How does it work out, what's minimum number of racers needed to make it worth the time? What are the downsides?

mtbr member

Off-road duathlon!

We host a 'dirty du' with the local running club each fall... We're in the black two out of two years.

PM if want details...

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Upsides:

Increased publicity due to the race - bike and general media.
    Increased revenue
    Increased membership?

Downsides:

It will depend a lot on the trails in question - who owns them and how much red tape is involved.

At minimum you need to consider -
    parking
    trail damage
    promotion cost
    event cost - permits, rent a cops (if needed), port a johns (if needed)
    event hurdles - what level of government (if any) do you have to get permissions from.
    other user groups and closing the trail - how much of a pain?
    insurance
    prizes costs

It can be pretty good, and there are some who've done it. Closest ones I know of are Winona Lake (who makes it into a festival over a couple of days) in Indiana, and Portage also in Indiana which hosts a morning/afternoon type event. Different circumstances in each case and I'll be happy to point ta to people more directly involved if you're interested - just drop me a pm.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    We're about 6 years into running a 13 Hour Race. We keep our fee low, $35 for members, $45 for non-members. We cap the field at 175 riders. We only give engraved pint glasses as prizes. No swag, no cash prizes.

We raise about $2500 - $3500 per year.

We've found keeping the cash out of the prizes generally gives us a field of participants that are not as uptight as some other groups I've seen racing for cash.

Let the folks know you are doing it to have some fun on bikes and to raise money. And if it becomes a hassle you just won't do it anymore. This low key system has worked for us.