ride

Illicit Motorized Use

Howdy all. We have a small dilemma in our area and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it so I'm looking for advice. We have, in our area, a pretty good network of social trails. These trails are located in the USFS. All of the trails have, at one time, had "no motorized" markers on them but they've now been either removed or destroyed. Within the last year, social trails that've been around for 10-15 years have been literally destroyed by motos.

I have nothing against motos, but these trails are very technical, steep, and were not made to sustain motorized use.

Herein lies the problem. All of the trails are in an area that the USFS deems sensitive to ecology, etc. The USFS would prefer that there not be much use at all in these areas, but due to budget constraints, has been turning a blind eye to use in general because impacts were still fairly low.

Does anyone have any experience like this? Ultimately, we'd like to see the non motorized signs replaced and maybe some fencing put up. Definitely would prefer to not have the USFS eradicate the trails all together. I've already initiated contact with our local Ranger District but I'm looking for some potential advice on how to handle it once we get talking. Thanks for any feedback!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

saddlemeat
    Motorized use off designated roads is illegal on USFS lands, is there a US Marshal or other law enforcement in the district to write tickets?

Edit: We have one FS US Marshal and the County Sheriff Dept. who write fines in the district here.
    Last edited by bsieb; 12-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.