jake the snake
    Feb 2008

Idea! I started on my trail

I started on the trail I am build ing and their is one problem I dont know how to bank the turns. For example I was rideing last night and when I breaked on the last turn my bike slid out from under me and I need a bank toride in the curves and more jump Idseas and thanks guys who gave me the weed wacker idea on my last blog thanks Jacob

I need skills
    Jul 2004

measure and dig

what radius turn do you want? Determine that, tie a cord to a stake, use marking spray or flags and mark your turn in a perfect arc.

build a berm. If you dig on the inside of of your berm will water collect there? If so, dig from the outside of your berm. Pile the dirt on the path of your marks/pins/flags. For added fun, add a roller at each end of your bermed turn.

"a berm is a hole turned on its side. Pump into it, unweight on the way out, you'll gain speed."

This same info is on leelikesbikes.com. buy his ebook on pumptracks????

mtbr member
    Building berms is pretty easy once you get started. You can pretty much go twice as fast with a berm as you can flat turning. remember to put your weight on you outside pedal. I built 19 small berms last Saturday in an afternoon. The key is remember that you exert the most force on the second half of the turn so you want that the fattest or thickest. I usually rough shape it with a McLoed, rake it with a wide plastic leaf rake, compact it with the flat head of the McLoed in layers and keep building it up and shaping. I find that raking up to the top at a 45 degree angle in both directions shapes it with nice a radius. Build and ride and link them up. Experiment and test as you go and don't be afraid to knock it down and redo it as you go. It's all about the flow.............but compaction is the key!!

Tools I use: McLoed (shape, move dirt, and compact)
    :stiff back rake (shape)
    :wide plastic leaf rake (shape, move material,smooth)
    :flat shovel (move material, compact)
    ointy shovel (dig, move material)
    :10 lb tamper (compaction, especially on base layers)
    Also you might want to play with mixing soils to you mix to get it just right....maybe add sand or small rock (aggregate), clay, etc.

Make sure you have drainage to your berms so you don't end up with a swimming pool or a mudbath!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Congrats on starting your new trail! It's such a fun and rewarding experience.

First, check out this thread for pictures and discussion about berms.

Second, remember to incorporate grade reversals before and after each bermed turn. Usually this is done during the design phase of the trail. This will help keep water off the trail and, depending on size, also possibly help to slow the rider down slightly before going into the turn. If braking bumps start to appear, you need to change the flow of the leading leg so that it allows riders to transition into the berm at the right speed range.

If there's no natural grade reversals, you can create a little mini pump hump to keep water off the berm. Be careful, though, that it doesn't actually trap water on the trail on either side of it.

Lastly, start with a small berm and gradually build to the size you need, checking the flow of it after each jump in size. Wasting time and dirt building a berm that's too big (in other words, the top 1/3 doesn't get used,) just plain sucks!!

D

jake the snake
    Feb 2008
    well I need to figure out what all i need to do becides that if you have type of jump ideas tell meand i will try them out.

jake the snake
    Feb 2008
    Hey yall i need ideas for what type of jumps to do thanks.

mtbr member
    for the berms outline with large logs,then pile dirt.

for the jumps do the same,make them rollable and spread out,its pretty simple really, just pile logs and throw some dirt down.