Thread: I need water

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I need water

I recently found out from my land manager that my dirt jump park's source of water doesn't exist (don't ask). So I am forced to look into other options. Luckily for me there is a lake on one side of my park and a river on the other. A couple options I am looking at are:

#1. A gas powered pump (around 1" output) with 400' of hose on hose carts.

pros: it's water
    cons: have to drag the pump over to the lake whenever we use it. I'm not sure, but wouldn't a pump like this require constant output to function. I mean it's not like a water faucet where you can turn the flow off, the pump requires water to move through it or it will burn up. I'm also concerned about the pressure, I don't want fire hose pressure to blow my precious jumps away, I want to be able to delicately moisten the jumps.

#2. A water tank on a trailer with hand pump air pressure.

pros: more control over pressure, can turn it off.
    cons: not sure if this would provide enough pressure. I would still need a pump to get the water in the tank. Might take a lot of pumping to get the pressure I need. I would probably need a tractor to haul it around.

Does anybody have any experience with one of these methods, or maybe a different method? Does anybody use something similar to the above options that could shed some light?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i would go buy a bunch of pvc pipe, dig some trench and lay the pvc from the lake to jumps. On the lake side just build a box with a lid to protect the fitting where you can hook up the pump. Or better yet build a little shed where you can store the pump and protect the fitting.

Now at the other side i'd elevate it by just attaching a treated post and tying it to it. Up to the level of whatever height your buckets or whatever you're catching the water with. You can buy a bunch of river rock and cut a little drainage ditch at that point so you're not making a mud pit there.

Or you can get creative, depending on how much water you really need. Considering you may be working the pump and trying to catch the water by yourself alone, you may want to catch it with a big container with a spicket near the bottom. That way you can just fill it from the lake, then walk over and collect the gallons of water out of that container.

Basic plumbing stuff, should be a slam dunk. Don't get high on the glue, haha.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    We recently used a PVC system to irrigate tree plantings and drew water from an adjacent lake and ran a full sprinkler system from a gas powered pump. another choice would be a 12 volt system temporarily run from an automotive source if distance/water pressure issue. You could always use a landscaping water truck to spray your jumps.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got an ATV? ATV Tank Sprayer

Google "atv tank sprayer" for several types.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Kind of like 'Land managers" you may want to check and see if you'll need the ok from a "water manager". Some people out here in the west take their water shares very seriously. just wave'n a little yellow flag

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The water access is not a problem in Illinois. I've been told no pvc trenching. Looks like it will have to be a portable setup.

Anybody know of a manual type tank sprayer similar to the atv one? A perfect solution might be a tank sprayer that you could pull by hand or tractor/atv. I have a few good welders, any suggestions for making my own?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK, we'll try again...Google "pull behind atv tank sprayer".

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Kevin, check this page out, http://www.pbmsprayers.com/ag/leftna...and_garden.php the 2nd and 3rd options look the best for the park. The 2nd one is gas powered, the 3rd is electric. No mention of price though. It might not be that hard to use one of these as a template and have something custom fabricated.