Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010

I need to build a trail. I know nothing. Point me in the right direction.

I'll try to be brief. I like to get around on my bike and have moved to a rural area. Getting into town will be much easier (nearly 10 miles less roundtrip) if I can rehab and old stretch of neglected trail. The section is 1/2 mile long.

I am fortunate to have most of the hand tools I think I'll need. I don't own, but could likely borrow larger equipment if necessary.

What I don't have is knowledge. Is there a basic text or website on trail building you could recommend? Something to get me started so when I come back later I'll only ask moderately--rather than astoundingly--dumb questions.

Anthony
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

mtbr member
    Advice:

1) Make absolutely certain it's legal for you to be on the trail at all, never mind rehabbing it. If you're all clear on this..
    2) Buy and read IMBA's Trail Solutions.
    3) Go practice making a trail somewhere on your own property so you don't mess up somewhere else.
    4) Reread Trail solutions, repeat #3 til you like what you end up with.
    5) Go fix the trail in question.

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Advice:

1) Make absolutely certain it's legal for you to be on the trail at all, never mind rehabbing it. If you're all clear on this..
    2) Buy and read IMBA's Trail Solutions.
    3) Go practice making a trail somewhere on your own property so you don't mess up somewhere else.
    4) Reread Trail solutions, repeat #3 til you like what you end up with.
    5) Go fix the trail in question.
    Thank you very much, that's what I was looking for. I'll start reading Trail Solutions and be back as questions arise.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    Thank you very much, that's what I was looking for. I'll start reading Trail Solutions and be back as questions arise.
    Another less detailed but quicker, cheaper option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cotharyus gives good advice. Only thing I'll add is don't half ass it. Rehabbing 1/2 mile of trail and doing it right will be a lot of work.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    Cotharyus gives good advice. Only thing I'll add is don't half ass it. Rehabbing 1/2 mile of trail and doing it right will be a lot of work.
    After reading Trail Solutions and looking at the trail again I've decided it isn't a good idea. The existing trail is almost completely along the fall line, which is why there a huge rut in middle of the trail. It is also too steep to use for its intended purpose. I'd have to start from scratch.

For now I'll stick to the long route into town along the rail trail.

But it isn't a total loss. I learned a little and bought a McLeod tool. I've used it to clean up some rutted sections of a dirt road my 6 yo boy likes to ride and plan to build a tiny little loop in our woodlot for he and my little girl.