I like bloody ankles

Smile I love my local hikers !

I decided to post this after seeing so much talk recently around conflicts with other interest groups.

I was riding my local spot today, a place where nearly every time I ride I cross paths with hikers and sometimes equestrians. Just dropped onto a very steep 100 yd scab of a singletrack, one that puts me on my head about 10% of attempts. I cleaned it and rode out to the fire road at the bottom, at which point I heard a huge collection of howling and yelping from the hill above. It startled me as I thought I was going to encounter the largest pack of coyotes I'd ever seen up here, and I've seen a lot. I looked up toward the noise to spot a collection of 8 or 10 women hikers, hands clapping and howling - actually cheering for me and the success of the descent.

I caught up to them and we laughed about my thought of them as coyotes. They iterated the cheer and I thanked them for the fan fare.

Not writing this to toot my own horn. This is a result of at least two decades of multiple use in this area along with consideration by all sides. The trails started as equestrian, then we MTB'ers enhanced, added to, and help maintain the routes. I've never had a bad experience while crossing paths in more than 20 years on the trails.

It is possible to all get along....respect and be respected !

Danarchy.
    That is a pretty cool story. I like that in most cases bikers and hikers share the same trails and for the most part we pretty much get along. Anytime I encounter a hiker I make a point to say "Hey, hows it going etc" and as much as I can stay out of their way even if it means to get off of my bike. I've never had a problem with anyone and to go out of your way to accommodate them goes a long way.
    No one can ever slow me down
    I'll stay unbound
    -Avenged Sevenfold

bi-winning
    That's a nice happy, everyone wins, feel good story. Just the way it should be.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    True, my experience with all other user groups including horseback riders, and motorcycle riders are most always positive.

Being an ambassador to mountain biking, it's important to respond positively to other user-groups, but honestly it's not my primary motivation. My deal is we're all out in the woods/outdoors having fun, doing what we do, and it's a rare opportunity to express in our shared common happiness.

Many times i will rail about mountain bikers standing up to other user groups stances if i deem it unfair, as mountain bikers are nearly always at the bad end of the stick concerning access issues when conflicts arise. But that's an entirely different medium and there is no subsequent ill feelings to anyone in this respect. Just the notion of standing up for mountain bike interests.

Out on the trail, the whole point is to share in good times.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Ride Responsibly
    Nearly all of the trail encounters I have experienced have been very cordial.
    Yet there is a group of equestrians who oppose any suggestion of biking on "their" trails, so much so that they are trying to stop an event I am doing.
    The event is a 24 hour bike race and I have the perfect spot for it, 10 miles of singletrack surrounding a state of the art campground, all on state park property. State parks has the right to issue permits for events that allow uses other than normal and I have the permit, but one horses arse in particular is doing all she can to stop the event because we will be using "horse trails".
    Glad to hear the whole world is not crazy, just my little corner of it.
    http://www.lakeorovillebicyclists.org/id65.html

I like bloody ankles
    exactly why I made the post, I feel fortunate to be in a place where "we all just get along". Well, at least on the trails that is, can't say so much for the roads 'round here....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Glad to hear the whole world is not crazy, just my little corner of it.
    No it's still prevalent for other user-groups to be anti mountain biking.

It's not so much right or wrong as it is, who's better organized and established.

That's why advocacy efforts should be supported, but still the spirit of this thread should be noted as well. It is and should be possible to separate the conflicts/challenges with the joy in recreation/competition.

Within all user groups i highly suspect most people are down for that, being cordial and fun loving. And on the surface it really seems like the majority feel that way. And maybe that's the problem, in that they are not the people who generally speak up or get involved.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjc
    I feel fortunate to be in a place where "we all just get along". Well, at least on the trails that is, can't say so much for the roads 'round here....
    This is thrilling to hear, especially due to it's location in the clusterf---k known as southern California, where trails are few and the volume of user groups on the trail is tremendous. The lessons to be learned from living in the crush of humanity that is So. California are many, valuable and far too often overlooked.
    Trail user groups lesson # 1. "We're all in this together."

Hey dsjc, next "Fiesta de los Golondrinas" stop by the Wagon Wheel and toss one back for the Shelbak. ([SIZE="1"]A San Clemente escapee.[/SIZE])

I like bloody ankles
    Gotcha covered, may even stop by the Swallows afterward and do the same

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbak73
    Hey dsjc, next "Fiesta de los Golondrinas" stop by the Wagon Wheel and toss one back for the Shelbak. ([SIZE="1"]A San Clemente escapee.[/SIZE])

mtbr member
    Who else rides in San Clemente? what? your saying i dont have these 50+ miles of singletrack to my friends and i. damnit.

im just messing....i have trails quite empty...maybe a cross country runner here and there but hey we are all having fun in the the dirt so i make sure to whoop and make their run.

roadies are a diff story ><
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

local trails rider
    Guess what makes it possible for me to ride trails in winter...

People walking their dogs.
    Otherwise the snow would never get packed into a ridable trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjc
    Gotcha covered, may even stop by the Swallows afterward and do the same