is no longer new
    May 2008

How should i cut wood for skinnies?

My town had a windstorm and i've got a lifetime supply of pine and maple. All of it is logs. I literally have any size and length of wood, but i don't know how to split/cut it.

i have no powertools, just 4in. nails and wood wood wood. i'm new to riding skinnies and building them, so nothing technical. just to get over a creek. how do i cut and nail them? i'll get a pic tomorrow of what i've started so far.

any pics/tips for easy to make, small berms and skinnies would be great. thats why i like these forums.

The Voice of Reason
    get the bark off the pines or they will rot pretty quickly. i used a lawn ax to cut a flat side on my log skinny.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Buy a chainsaw and safety equipment for it.

Google safety and learn how to use it so you don't hack your leg off.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/safety/ae1025w.htm
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

is no longer new
    May 2008
    yeah i started some of it before i posted the thread, and stopped because i thought i was doing it wrong. the nails were WAY too big, and started to split the maple pieces i had slapped on the main beams. today i split all the pine and just did it the old fashion way, like you said: get a lawn axe and make it somewhat flat.
    i finished it today, using smaller nails on the rest of it, and its very sturday. about 10 feet long. hopefully when i remember and feel not lazy, i'll get a pic. in here. a lot more are soon to come now that i have the making process down.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by callmetheNewGuy
    yeah i started some of it before i posted the thread, and stopped because i thought i was doing it wrong. the nails were WAY too big, and started to split the maple pieces i had slapped on the main beams. today i split all the pine and just did it the old fashion way, like you said: get a lawn axe and make it somewhat flat.
    i finished it today, using smaller nails on the rest of it, and its very sturday. about 10 feet long. hopefully when i remember and feel not lazy, i'll get a pic. in here. a lot more are soon to come now that i have the making process down.
    Photos or it didn't happen....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I felled a tree today on my property and I ended up with a 40 foot section that was nice and straight. What is the easiest way to cut the flat spot along the top? Do you usually use a chainsaw or just notch it every few inches with a saw chip it away with an axe?

Thanks.

P

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Rule #1:

Don't use nails.

Use hex-headed lag bolts.

Pre-drill pilot holes for the ladder pieces, and possibly for the stringers, if they too are prone to cracking.

Nails are close to useless.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Lawn Ax

Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer
    get the bark off the pines or they will rot pretty quickly. i used a lawn ax to cut a flat side on my log skinny.
    Show us a picture of this lawn ax! Not sure what you are using and always looking for more tools. We use a chain saw to run the log flat.