mtbr member
    Apr 2010

how much time to build a pump track?

iis this realistic to take on by myself? how long did it take you to build yours?

thinking about building a pump track back in the woods a bit, im hoping to lay it out in a way to avoid cutting any trees but ill take down small ones if i really have to.

I was also considering using this for a time lapse video, from clearing the leaves to ride-able path. so im trying to get some sort of idea of how many hours to expect building the track could take to plan the time lapse a bit better.
    Ill probably be the only one working on it with shovels/rakes.

any guess?(days? weeks?)

im trying to use this plan which ive seen a few times on this and other sites, roughly 42'x36'
    Last edited by jbourne84; 09-11-2012 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Depends on things like how good the dirt is , how many roots there are, the quickest way to build a pumptrack is probably by digging into the ground for the curve between each pump and piling the dirt you get above the ground for the roller. Although you do get puddles that way.

I have built a small pumptrack on my own and it took me about a week and a half, and then some time after that to get it dialed. You could probably build that in 2 to 3 weeks, I would say.

It is a fair bit easier with more than 1 person, especially for bits like the berms, but you can easily build a pumptrack on your own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks luket66,

since posting this ive basically read that it wasnt worth doing if not done right, which included importing a lot dirt so ive now been thinking i just should wait until i have the ability to do that. I was planning to do mine as you described, use what i dig out for the rollers and i guess just deal with puddles when it rains. How do you like the track you built? You think it works well enough to make it worth it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeh it was quite a good track, it was a few years ago now and it's overgrown now, but at the time we had a lot of fun on it, the only problem with it at the start was some of the rollers were a bit too close together