Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

How much per mile? Foot? Kilometer?

Well, I am trying to calculate a somewhat accurate budget for a VERY comprehensive trail project, and I am a little stumped. We are talking about va rying terrain, 4-6 (four to six man) full time summer crew. Mechanized vehicle rentals, (sweco's, walking excavators, motorized wheelbarrels, explosives, the works). We have a limited window of build time, the trail conditions vary from easy, cuttable soils (1/5- 1/4) of a mile per day in some places) all the way to blasting into shale to make switchbacks, retaining walls, and bench cuts. I don't know how to begin to calculate!
    Any advice?
    Costs:
    Crew
    Machines
    hand tools
    materiels, flagging, etc
    explosives
    any others?
    Last edited by rideit; 06-13-2006 at 10:59 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

I need skills
    Jul 2004

this almost sounds like a hoax.

Where I am working, if I had four 6-man FULL-time crews. all organized, experienced and ready to go. I'd ****. In that situation I can't imagine not getting 2+ miles a day built of buff singletrack. If your work is 4 times more time consuming, that is still half a mile a day and 2.5 miles per week. figure your costs from there. good luck and post photos.
    c

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    Where I am working, if I had four 6-man FULL-time crews. all organized, experienced and ready to go. I'd ****. In that situation I can't imagine not getting 2+ miles a day built of buff singletrack. If your work is 4 times more time consuming, that is still half a mile a day and 2.5 miles per week. figure your costs from there. good luck and post photos.
    c
    In the terrain we are working in, I would think 1/5th of a mile a day would be....optimistic. (hand tools, on average) We must be dealing with very different soil/mineral compositions! There are a bunch of 20 foot sections that could take all day. Interesting perspective, where do you build? )Oh, I have one full time crew, of four to six, not four crews...That would be incredible!!!)

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We built a 2,000 foot re-route including two switchbacks and a 40 foot long 2 foot high cribwall on a slope that was up to 60 % in a clay/sandy loam soil. It took 363 hours.

We also recently had a 8-10 person crew working 5 hours per day building 600 feet of trail each day. It included some bench cutting and lot's of raking/scraping vegetation clearing. Soil was a clay/loam mix. Rocky areas are a different story.

I think IMBA goes by a $1.00-$2.00 per foot guideline but not sure if that is hand or machine built.

We'll have more info after the summit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Production rates are going to widely vary per site, per day, per crew, yaddayadda...best way to make estimates I've found/learned (from Calif. State Parks) is to figger production rates on a per person basis, then start paying close attention to your production rates of crews on a variety of different projects. I heard at the last World MTB conf., or maybe other work with IMBA, the rate of 5 to 10 LF/hr.

Couple of years ago we put in a 940 linear foot climbing/descending ST trail thru majorily rooty boreal forest; had 30 people for 5 hours, so we got a production rate of approx. 6LF per person per hour. Crew was volunteers, but pretty well trained/experienced. This Nat.Trails Day was laying down geotextile and in-filling a un-planned horse rut trail with gravel; did 500 LF in 3 hours with 16 pax, so our production was a bit over 10 LF/hour. But this was the icing on the cake, given that the alignment and tread was already cleared, prepped, etc. Anyway, make some reasonable per person production estimates and then convert that into labor costs, come up with your materials costs and you got a pretty good estimate.

Take heart, I've heard that the production rate for the transcontinental railroad in the 1860's was something like 1 foot for a full days work of 10 men!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack99501
    Take heart, I've heard that the production rate for the transcontinental railroad in the 1860's was something like 1 foot for a full days work of 10 men!
    So, anyone know how i could purchase a crew of Coolies, and make em' spend all of their wages at the company store?

And then we eat them."

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Wendell,

The rates for trail building vary for many reasons...too many variables to list here! The rates for mechanized trail building range from $1.50 per foot to 3$+ per foot. Hand built trail can range from $5 to $10 per foot. When I refer to machine built trail, I'm refering to the main method. Even machine built trail needs to be finished by hand for that touch of love look.

See you in < a week!

D