mtbr member
    Sep 2007

How to: Move giant rock

this rock has been in the middle of our trail for the past year and we finally moved the sucker to complete the road gap step up to connect the upper and lower section of the Sentinel.

so if you cant sink it, and if you can't break it, winch it. we used a 5000lb come-a-long 2 tow straps and a whole load of safety straps. use trees as anchors with tree straps as to not damage the tree and be very cautious to secure all the straps so if something slips its either tied down or roped to.

so heres a photo directive of how we moved it and the completed section of trail.

the rock in question

Tipping it up

wedged on its end

slowly

slowly

slowly moving

surfs up, (it still wouldn't move)

the rock in its final resting place

workin the lip

the drop into the road gap

looking off the drop

pulling dirt away from the sub frame to build the main frame

the finished landing and gap

Kyle getting his Matt Hunter on/

landing

the full gap

looking back at the run out.

riding pictures

it was to bright for any really good photos but heres a few quick shots form Kyle Griner.

me on the hip

Kyle coming up the road gap

Eric coming up the road gap

Joe spinning
    Transition Bikes 2008

locked - time out
    Nice man! That trail looks sick! Big boulders are a pain in the butt to move. Good idea!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Nice work! And that's a big bench cut that you did by hand. Yikes!

If you don't mind me asking, where is this? Also, why didn't you incorporate that rock into another feature? I'd love to have a rock like that here to work with.

Lastly, check the cable in that come-along after a move like that. Watch for frays and kinks. An even better tool for that is a grip hoist, which offers a continuous wire feed but is very $$$.

D

mtbr member
    you should buy a rock bar! doesn't look that big

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Nice work! And that's a big bench cut that you did by hand. Yikes!

If you don't mind me asking, where is this? Also, why didn't you incorporate that rock into another feature? I'd love to have a rock like that here to work with.

Lastly, check the cable in that come-along after a move like that. Watch for frays and kinks. An even better tool for that is a grip hoist, which offers a continuous wire feed but is very $$$.

D
    ya that is one of the bigger bench cuts on the trail wasen't to bad it took us about 8 hours with 3-4 guys to build the whole section. as far as the grip hoist goes yes it may be a better tool but we have a come-a-long and you said it your self grip hoists are spendy.

we tried with 4 guys just to roll the rock over the edge when we had it close and it still would not budge. we tried using 2 6 foot rock bars and nothing happened so moving it and using it was not an option.

thanks for the compliments guys the trail is smooth as butter!
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    great stuff!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I agree with the suggestion to get some rock bars. Rock bars and come-a-longs work well together to move really large rocks. You can use the cable to tension and control the movement of the rock and the rock bars to encourage the rock to move where you want it to go. Only downside of rock bars is they are one of the worst tools to carry out to the worksite.

Tube bender
    Aug 2008
    Crap thatís a ton of work. Well done! I hope the other riders in your area pitch in some as well. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by helocat
    Crap thatís a ton of work. Well done! I hope the other riders in your area pitch in some as well. Good stuff.
    what other riders? there are only a few of us. and we do all the work. its nice to have a trail to yourselves
    Transition Bikes 2008

Tube bender
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.rider
    what other riders? there are only a few of us. and we do all the work. its nice to have a trail to yourselves
    Must be a privet forest then. Just figured it was a public area that you and your crew were improving.

mtbr member
    Sooooo, Wherezit at??? Looks nice! Nice line.

That rock looks like the perfect lip launch!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!