mtbr member
    Oct 2007

how to mark a landing

is there some way that you can find out where the landing should be for a jump(as in how far away?thanks
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain biker 41
    is there some way that you can find out where the landing should be for a jump(as in how far away?thanks
    Seeing as how your asking this question i'll assume your not throwing huge dirt jumps.

The way I always did it is to just drop it to flat once or twice to see where you will land. Have a friend spot your landing, then walk back about 2.5 feet and start building.

Once you've hit stuff a couple of times you'll start to get the feel for it. Speed you'll carry in, pitch of take off, slope of landing all will determine where the placements will be. Soon things will just start to look right and you'll be able to eyeball them.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain biker 41
    I assume you're building a double jump and not a tabletop jump. As far as I know, there's not a set formula for determining the distance between the take off lip and the landing transition.

When I worked with Jay Hoots to design and build a mountain bike park, I watched him step off jump distances but was never able to determine his formula. He knows how far to step off the jumps but at that time wasn't measuring the distance of the steps.

The advice given above should work well enough.. Simple trial and error.

Good luck.

D

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    are you building doubles? If you are build them about twice as far as the jump is high. If you have a double that is 4 foot high build the landing at least 8 foot out. Maybe more is you are going fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I also use 2 to 1 formula for a 6' - 8' radius on the take off, if you start getting larger radii or higher speed increase the distance. 10'-12' take off radius is around 3 to 1 ratio and so on.

If you are talking about building the landing for a drop off or north shore style drop, roll a wheel off at a relative speed and see where it lands.

mtbr member
    I was gonna say a heavy ball but the wheel works as gfood!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

SamIAm
    dude, just make the jump as huge sicktor as you want and ride up to it at whatever the "fullspeed" wil be and if you dont want to just jump it to nothing, then just ghost the bike and see where it lands
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    dude, just make the jump as huge sicktor as you want and ride up to it at whatever the "fullspeed" wil be and if you dont want to just jump it to nothing, then just ghost the bike and see where it lands
    wouldnt reccomend this with your personel bike, grab a friends or a **** bike