Thread: How to...

mtbr member
    May 2008

How to...

Any advice is helpful. I would like my home town to develop some trails. I live in Corpus Christi and currently, we do not have anything. We do not have any large city park that I am aware of. What are the steps I would need to take to get the ball rolling. When I am driving around I see a huge abundance of land that is just vacant but I have no idea who to talk to, how to get money, and even make the trails. I apologize for my ignorance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    To start buy the IMBA books that deal with trail building and dealing with land managers.

It is too much for one person, so recruit volunteers. If you have a local advocacy club you need support, or form your own.

You need to identify land managers, find out what lands would be available. Be able to sell the idea, have a clear plan on your intentions with maps, and a concise plan. Find out if there are public funds to access, and fundraise on your own.

But initially network with land managers, organize mountain bikers, formulate a conservative plan, and move forward.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Don't worry, be happy!
    There've been some really good discussions in this particular forum before. I don't have time right now to search for them but you might...

to add to Skook's post,
    Get organized- a group always has more legitimacy than an individual and show the land managers what YOU can do for THEM....

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Adding to Formica's post...

Also check into other semi local cities to see what they've done, and if any of those trail groups know people down your way.

And watch for IMBA Trail Care Crew visits and similar - if you have people who have something that shows they know how to build trail, it makes that discussion with the land managers easier too. It helped cinch getting trails in a state park for us.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...