mtbr member

Hosting XC race on private land

This may not be the best place to post the question, if not please suggest a better forum: Does anyone know the liabilities of hosting an XC race on a trail on private property? This could be a friend's or my own. I know that in paying for the event permit you get USAC insurance. Would this be enough or would you need additional protection from injured riders?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    This may not be the best place to post the question, if not please suggest a better forum: Does anyone know the liabilities of hosting an XC race on a trail on private property? This could be a friend's or my own. I know that in paying for the event permit you get USAC insurance. Would this be enough or would you need additional protection from injured riders?
    You should probably check with your homeowners insurance provider.

IIRC we(Parks) used to require promoters to come up with a $1 million liability policy in addition to the USAC policy.

I believe the USAC policy only provides limited medical coverage to the participants.

And I'm assuming the additional liability policy would cover the land owner from lawsuits.

Just a guess, could be wrong about those though since I haven't been involved with racing in a number of years.