Thread: Horse photos?

mtbr member

Horse photos?

I'm presenting to a couple of equestrian groups this month on why they need to do more trailwork

Anyone have photos of horses and other users co-mingling? Horse-damaged trails?

Basically, anything horse-and-trail related will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for posting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Horses entirely banned from Iowa trail system

There was a case in Council Bluffs Iowa where horses were banned from an entire trail system because the damage being caused by horses was not balanced out by the maintenance efforts/dollars contributed by equestrians. After a very serious case of trail damage by equestrians, not one equestrian helped fix the damage. If you contact the folks at Southwest Iowa Nature Trails, they can probably share lots of stuff on horse damaged trails.

http://wabashtrace.connections.net/
    http://wabashtrace.connections.net/e...n_ban_2007.htm
    http://www.applesnoats.com/banned.pdf
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...&u_sid=2359946

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Positive example of equestrian involvement in trails

Just thought of something else. Equestrians are very involved in Black Canyon Trail Coalition trail projects here in Arizona. They participate in all events, hauling things like tools, water and lunch to the work sites on their horses. They are also some of the hardest working volunteers doing the actual trail work. Someone at the BCTC can probably give you some great information on positive examples of equestrian involvement in trails and even an equestrian contact to refer other equestrians to.

http://www.bctaz.com/index.html

Don't worry, be happy!
    I dont' have a photo, but the Eastern WA IMBA rep has been working side by side with the local chapter of Backcountry Horsemen for many years. It was pretty awesome to be at a State Parks meeting, and I was talking about the Trail Solutions book, and the BCH guy piped right up that IMBA's standards were by far and away the best.

I'd look for before/after images that show drainage damage, and corrected drainage. You don't have to focus it on horse damage per se, but bad trails in general. Fall line erosion, puddles & ponds, mud pits, braided trails -- all examples of bad design and heavy use, and then you can show what a "good" trail looks like. There are lots of examples in the IMBA books.

formica

Witty McWitterson
    I have some photos of horses and riders at a training event held here a while back. The Kickapoo Valley reserve in WI has a pretty active maintenance/building group that includes bikers and equestrians.

Google up Kickapoo Valley Reserve and contact them, they're more than helpful.

That being said, the horses were just kicked off local trails here for the same major destruction and lack of repairs as above. I'll try and get to the pictures soon for you.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Here's a ride report that we did earlier on in the year (from the Western Canada forum).

Awesome trail, but there were several sections that were ruined by the equestrians: braided trail, mud pits (with permanent soppy hoove prints / holes), etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    So here's the photos I promised. Vernon Trails and the local Horse Group were working at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve in 06 to help mitigate some badly damaged trails, and we were simply trying to gain access to some of the 45+ miles of trail out there. We've been successful in gaining access, but not to as much as we wanted, though that may be changing in the near future. There are Equestrians out there who are more than willing to share the trails. Of the group here, several have spent plenty of time out west (where, I don't know) where shared access on trails is no big deal.

Anyways, good luck, follow the link in the pic to see more.

From KVR Training ...

Just a regular guy.

beer thief
    These are not my photos, I believe they were taken in AZ.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SS FR HT
    actualy we had a guy shoot a horse in my local trail system, he had some mental issues, at least it wasn't a biker....
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    shouldn't people who ride horses wear helmets?

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by ebineezer
    shouldn't people who ride horses wear helmets?
    Sometimes they do.

You'll seldom see a rider with Western tack where a helmet, they got that horn to hold onto and they don't jump usually cause the horn is typically the equivalent of landing on the cross bar.

Helmet is mostly an English tack apparel item used when running and jumping. A skilled horse rider with a decent mount out for a casual walk/trot trail ride is like you riding down the street for a 6 pack.

Now how about the number of people who turn down a nice pair of kevlar chaps when using a chain saw...

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    These are not my photos, I believe they were taken in AZ.
    Those bog photos are likely a place that needs rerouting anyway, look how much water is in the hoof prints, too flat for a good trail. However it could be used to illustrate how horses should stay off a public trails after it rains to prevent "post holing" the trail surface.