Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. High Tech trail tools... Do they exist?

To all:

Not expecting Carbon Fiber, Bucky Balls, or Aero Gel, but is there any company who manufacturers tools designed to be transported by hikers and bicyclists for their application. We have ultra light camping and backpacking stuff. Tools made with the trail maintainers in mind! I have changed out heavy steel parts for lighter aluminum stuff, deleted fancy dodads, even drilled holes in stuff to make it lighter to carry through the woods...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

High-tech wildland fire fighting tools

I am not aware of any high-tech trail tools but they do make super-high-tech tools for wildland fire fighting that could be used for trailwork. However, all of that aircraft aluminum and titanium make them really expensive.

http://www.dragonslayers.com/fire_tools2.html

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I could see light weight tools being used for light duty maintenance work, be they carried a couple hundred feet from the maintenance shed on property or slogged in on a bike trailer or in a pack. For regular maintenance duty, i.e. heavy use, I doubt something like that would stand up to the (ab)use.

I could be wrong, though.

D

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Not sure what you're carrying now or what type of ground you're working, but I think the good ole Pulaski (invented by Edward around 1910) and the Mcleod are the best trail tools. I think light stuff just wouldn't hold up to a lot of ground pounding. You can often find lower quality at the hardware store or perhaps better through a company like Cascade fire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Maintenance tools vs. building tools

Probably need to distinguish between tools for building new trails vs. tools to do light trail maintenance on the fly. For building new trails you need very heavy duty tools that can take a beating weekend after weekend in the hands of volunteers. But maintenance work like clearing drains or cutting back brush can be accomplished with much lighter tools. For myself, light trail maintenance tools are those that can fit in a camelback. One of the best I have found is the Glock entrenching tool. Lightweight, at least for a tool, and very rugged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Singletrack +1
    This is way after the fact, but for people looking for a tool similiar to the Glock, a standard issue Army Entrenching Tool works great. They have heady duty cases, folding handles, and a somewhat crappy but usuable seration on one side. Works for hacking, not so much sawing. And at army surplus, they practically give them away....
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

saddlemeat

Best light saw...

A most durable light carry saw is made from a 14 x 1-1/4 x .062" 6 T.P.I. power hacksaw blade ($10-20), a zip tie, and discarded tube. This saw has remained sharp for 5 years of heavy use, including cutting scrub oak roots in dirt. It is stiff enough that I can do light digging with the end. Double wrap the hacksaw blade tightly with an old road tube and neatly zip tie it off. Make sure the teeth point towards the handle so that it cuts on the pull stroke. The Thompson seatpost custom storage bag will ensure you don't damage the other stuff in your hydration pack.

I got tired of buying the fancy pruning saws that break or become obsolete in short order.

http://www.industrialboys.com/column...&prod_id=27515
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Singletrack +1
    ever been to prison.........? can someone say SHANK?! ehehe
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....