~~~~~~~~

Here we go again...

last time I mentioned here that things being posted on the internet aren't helping the local situation, I had to, and still continue to, endure a lot of grief...

http://blogs.nsmb.com/team/archives/...aui-baby-maui/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh crap, and I wanted to put a Talas on my next bike, but Fox sponsors this pr!ck. So I'm not interested in the Talas anymore, what does the bored think of Zoke's 55ATA for up-and-down XC riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i've ridden the Skyline Trail down to Poli Poli and there is a route that's all legal. Was a fantastic ride. Unless things have changed in the last 5 years or so...

i would have never know about this guy if you had not posted this.

i'll forget about him tomorrow, but that ride i'll never forget. Anyone going to Maui has to ride the Skyline to Poli Poli.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

~~~~~~~~
    well the article looks like it has now been edited.
    btw, Poli Poli is closed due to extreme storm damage, and the hunters are rallying to have mountain bikes banned.

ScottR1, can't tell if you are being sarcastic, this is just an issue of responsible journalism.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "... issue of responsible journalism."
    I'd like to respectfully disagree. The problem is an immature rider pissing off local land owners and other trail users. Advertisers like Fox make the problem worse by helping pay for the pr!ck's trip, and by financially supporting a website that shows the world how inconsiderate mountain bikers are, but the primary problem is the asshat on the bike. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I really have dumped Fox from my list of possible forks for my next bike. Unfortunately I had already decided to get an RP23 for the new bike, and now I have to find a different shock as well as a different fork.

Edit: Last night I received an email from a customer service rep at Fox. He claims the riding style portrayed in the original article does NOT represent the kind of responsible trail use that Fox supports. Editing the article after the fact doesn't keep morons like the article's author off the trail, but Fox sounds like they're trying to avoid making the situation worse by giving the pr!ck a public forum. Good for Fox! Maybe I'll have an RP23 on my next bike after all.
    Last edited by ScottR1; 01-11-2008 at 07:50 AM.

~~~~~~~~
    okay, the closed trail/forest reserve they poached in the article made the news today...

Cellular phone calls for rescuers
    KULA – A father and son were rescued by helicopter Saturday evening after losing their way on a biking trail in the Kula Forest Reserve.
    The 52-year-old man and his 12-year-old son were biking in the Polipoli area when they became disoriented and got lost on a trail. The man called his wife on a cellular phone, and she called emergency dispatch operators for help.
    At 4:54 p.m., Kula firefighters and a rescue crew aboard the Fire Department’s Air One helicopter were dispatched to the scene, said Battalion Chief Jeff Shaffer.
    A command post was set up near the Lavender Farm in Kula, and the helicopter crew was directed toward the lost bikers with the help of the father on the ground and his use of his cellular phone.
    The search was hampered by dense clouds, brush and the approach of nightfall in the late afternoon, Shaffer said.
    But, within an hour, the helicopter rescue crew found the father and son flagging them down with their shirts in an open field.
    “If they didn’t have their cell phone, they would have spent the night up there,” Shaffer said.
    The Kula Forest Reserve was closed to the public following the Kona storm that wreaked havoc on the island early last month.
    The reserve also was damaged in January 2007 by a fire believed to be set by a discarded cigarette.
    “Because of the fire, the bike trail was indistinguishable, and that’s how they got lost,” Shaffer said.
    Both father and son were taken to the rescue team’s command post in Kula where they were met by the man’s wife. Their bikes were left in the forest.