Thread: Happy Holidays!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Happy Holidays!

On another note, I was leading a crew doing some trail work on state land the Saturday before thanksgiving and a hunter comes up and asks for all our information, lectures us, and since I said I was in charge, asks me for my address and phone number. He then proceeds to tell me that the land manager who granted us permission (the New York State Office of General Services) had no authority to do so and that I can expect a visit from the Game Warden (for scaring off the deer) and the Forestry Service (for cutting tree limbs out of the way and creating "all sorts of erosional problems").

I smiled, said I looked forward to talking with the aforementioned authorities, got the hunter's contact information, and contacted the land manager. The land manager got in touch with the New York State Legal Council in Albany who are writing up a letter (with the NYS Legal Council and OGS) stamps on it stating that we are in the right and that hunting is not permitted on the property in question.

The hunter also said that the Game Warden had been patrolling the property, found the new section of trail and the 50 or so flags marking where we would continue our work, and removed the flags. He said the Game Warden then called him and asked if he knew anything about the trail, which he denied. He tried saying he was going to conduct citizen's arrest on all of us until I said that we're within the city limits still and I could call a couple officers (had their numbers in my phone since they sometimes ride with us). He forgot about that citizen's arrest pretty quickly.

The whole time we were talking the hunter, who was dressed in full camo (no orange at all), failed to sling his rifle over his shoulder (would have been good etiquette), kept shifting his rifle in his arms and was trying to be as menacing and threatening as possible without actually pointing the darn thing at us.

I'm looking forward to sending him the letter from NYS, posting signage up on the property (which the land manager will probably pay for) and continuing to build and ride.

I build my own.
    Is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing or just a big mouth hunter trying to scare you off?

Who does the Game Warden work for? The state?

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing or just a big mouth hunter trying to scare you off?
    I think (and hope) the latter. The property belongs to the Oneonta Job Corps, which is part of the Office of General Services. Since it is on this campus property and is still within the city limits, you would think that hunting would be prohibited (if not for bow and shotgun, at least with rifle).

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Who does the Game Warden work for? The state?
    Game warden works for the Department of Environmental Conservation. He is essentially a state police officer working for the DEC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coming from the midwest I have had plenty of incidents like this. I'd say you did the right thing, it's best never to argue with a man with a gun. So did the game warden actually take down your flags and markers or was the hunter just trying to scare you some more?

oh and Happy Holidays to you too!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Pretty sure the hunter was just flexing his muscles and he probably took them. I still haven't heard from the game warden or the forester, so that further supports my belief that this guy was just being a jerk. He said several times that he'd been hunting there his entire life, for over 30 years, blah blah blah.

Usually when people have been doing something for decades that automatically makes them right, ya know?